APAGS Convention Travel Award
Attending APA's Annual Convention is an important learning and networking experience for psychology graduate students. Due to the costs of attending convention, many students may not otherwise have the financial resources to attend. Thus, this award emphasizes granting funds to first-time convention attendees in need of travel support.
The American Psychological Association of Graduate Students (APAGS) is pleased to announce the APAGS Travel Award for the upcoming APA Annual Convention. APAGS will reimburse $500 to up to five psychology graduate students who have not previously attended convention. Preference will be given to those who:
Are first-time convention attendees.
Have some level of academic or leadership experience.
Agree to be an APAGS Ambassador.
The $500 award will reimburse convention registration costs and other travel/convention related expenses after convention occurs.
All candidates must be:
- Current APAGS members.
- Graduate students within their first four years of their graduate training in psychology.
- In good academic standing.
Note: APAGS current committee and subcommittee members are not eligible for this award, nor are former APAGS Committee members, subcommittee chairs and task force chairs. In addition, former APAGS subcommittee members or ad hoc reviewers who have previously reviewed this award are not eligible.
In order to promote professional networking and leadership development, award recipients must agree to:
- Attend three APAGS programs of your choice at the upcoming APA convention.
- Attend one to two APAGS social hours at the upcoming APA convention and meet some of the current APAGS leaders.
- Serve as an official APAGS Ambassador at convention. If you are accepted for this award, you will also be enrolled as an ambassador and will begin to receive details on this role prior to convention.
- Participate in pre- and post-convention email communication with an appointed APAGS committee member and meet with that individual for a short time at convention.
- After convention, award recipients must complete a brief reflection of their experience at convention (e.g., 500- to 1,000-word article, 3- to 5-minute YouTube clip) that APAGS can use in future recruitment/advertising initiatives (e.g., gradPSYCH). Reflections must be emailed to APAGS and are due no later than 45 days following convention.
- Cover their personal travel-related expenses up front. This award is for reimbursement only, after convention takes place. Advances cannot be given prior to convention. Each award recipient must submit receipts for convention-related expenses totaling at least the amount of the award. Instructions will be provided.
The application cycle for the 2015 APA Annual Convention is closed. Information about funding for the 2016 convention will be available in fall 2015.
Cover letter (750-word maximum) that outlines your interest in becoming involved as a leader within APAGS and APA and describes your interest in attending the APA convention. Please answer the following questions in your cover letter:
Is this your first time attending convention? If so, why are you interested in attending the convention?
What opportunities are you most looking forward to? How would you spend your time?
How would the convention contribute to your professional development?
Do you agree to complete the duties as described in this award solicitation?
Are you receiving, or do you plan to receive or apply for other funding sources to attend the convention, such as department funding, APA division travel grants and other awards and fellowships? If so, what are the promised and/or expected amounts?
An abbreviated 2-page curriculum vita
List all previous conferences attended and presentations given.
If you are not an APAGS member at the time of submission, you may send a copy of the receipt you get when you join APAGS/APA electronically as proof of membership.
Submit your application online. For questions about the award, please contact APAGS.
Please note the online system will close at 11:59 p.m. (ET) on the day of the deadline (listed above). All application materials must be submitted at that time. No mail submissions will be accepted. If you are not an APAGS member at the time of submission you may attach a copy of the receipt you get when you join APA/APAGS electronically as proof of your membership.