Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students (Students-Doctoral)

This program provides scholarships to full-time, financially needy students from disadvantaged backgrounds, enrolled in health professions and nursing programs.

Sponsor: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

Eligible Disciplines

Under this program, funds are awarded to accredited schools of medicine, osteopathic medicine, dentistry, optometry, pharmacy,
podiatric medicine, veterinary medicine, nursing (associate, diploma, baccalaureate and graduate degree), public health, chiropractic, allied health (baccalaureate or graduate degree programs of dental hygiene, medical laboratory technology, occupational therapy, physical therapy, radiologic technology, speech pathology, audiology, and registered dietitians), graduate programs in behavioral and mental health practice (includes clinical psychology, clinical social work, professional counseling, or marriage and family therapy), and programs providing training of physician assistants.

Eligible Applicants

You are eligible to apply for this scholarship at a school that participates in the Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students program if you are:

  • From a disadvantaged background as defined by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: one who comes from an environment that has inhibited the individual from obtaining the knowledge, skill, and abilities required to enroll in and graduate from a health professions school, or from a program providing education or training in an allied health profession; or comes from a family with an annual income below a level based on low income thresholds according to family size published by the U.S. Bureau of Census, adjusted annually for changes in the Consumer Price Index, and adjusted by the Secretary, HHS, for use in health professions and nursing programs.

  • A citizen, national, or a lawful permanent resident of the United States or the District of Columbia, the Commonwealths of Puerto Rico or the Marianas Islands, the Virgin Islands, Guam, the American Samoa, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall Islands and the Federated State of Micronesia.

How to Apply
Apply for this scholarship at the student financial aid office of the school where you are or intend to be enrolled.