APA members appointed to the APA Policy Review Task Force on the Prediction and Prevention of Gun Violence
With the approval of the APA Board of Directors, President Donald N. Bersoff, PhD, JD, appointed the following APA members to the APA Policy Review Task Force on the Prediction and Prevention of Gun Violence:
- Chair: Robert T. Kinscherff, PhD, JD, Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
- Joel A. Dvoskin, PhD, ABPP, Private Practice (forensic), Tucson, Ariz.
- Gary D. Gottfredson, PhD, University of Maryland
- W. Rodney Hammond, PhD, ABMP, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (retired)
- Eric S. Mankowski, PhD, Portland State University
- Susan B. Sorenson, PhD, University of Pennsylvania
- Jacquelyn W. White, PhD, University of North Carolina at Greensboro (emerita)
The task force will meet in Washington, D.C., on Sept. 26-27, to develop a policy on the prediction and prevention of gun violence that will replace APA’s 1994 policy on firearm safety and youth in light of the more recent scientific literature. The APA Council of Representatives approved the creation of the task force in February 2013, upon the recommendation of the Board of Directors, in order to address the perceived limitations in the 1994 policy in terms of its age, scope and evidence base. The Board of Directors recognized the need for a new policy to reflect current knowledge on gun violence prediction and prevention, to inform the field, and to provide a strong foundation for APA federal advocacy efforts.
APA welcomes recommendations and resources that might assist the task force in its work. Such materials were due to the APA Gun Violence Task Force by Aug. 26. Call (202) 336-6041 or contact the LGBT Concerns Office regarding the task force.