January 2015 |Vol. 15, No. 1
For Division Leaders
- Meet APA staff: Sonja Wiggins, Membership Development
Keith Cooke interviews Sonja Wiggins, assistant director, Membership Development
- Meet Division Services staff: Sam Maina, specialist
Learn more about Sam, who handles membership processing in the Division Services Office.
- Tech tip: Follow Sue Frantz
Follow this guest speaker from the 2014 Division Leadership Conference to find new technologies.
- For Division Leaders
Resources provided by APA for division officers and leaders: help with administrative services, newsletters, Handbook for Division Officers, calendars by APA office, financial services/division treasurer information, and division demographic profiles.
- Contact Division Services
APA staff and members of the Committee on Division/APA Relations are here to help divisions and division leaders.
Share With Your Members
- APA apportionment ballot results for 2016
Divisions gained one seat as a group, compared with last year, for a total of 100 seats.
- Call for public comment: Specialty and proficiency petitions
Commission for the Recognition of Specialties and Proficiencies in Professional Psychology (CRSPPP) opens petitions for comment.
Conferences and Events
- Ethical Issues and Diagnostic Mandates in an Era of Integrated Care
The third annual APA Professional Development Training Institute, hosted at the APA building in Washington, D.C., offers 14 CE credits.
- 2015 Call for Applications to the Leadership Institute for Women in Psychology
Women psychologists in clinical and consulting fields, in addition to academia and academic medicine, are now eligible
- Annual Midyear Research Conference on Religion and Spirituality
Co-sponsored by APA Div. 36 and Brigham Young University.
APA Seeks Nominations For 2016 Awards
- Distinguished Contributions to Education and Training in Psychology (includes career designation)
This award recognizes specific contributions in education and training.
- Distinguished Contributions of Applications of Psychology to Education and Training
This award recognizes psychologists for evidence-based applications of psychology to education.
- APA Award for Distinguished Scientific Contributions
The APA Award for Distinguished Scientific Contributions honors psychologists who have made distinguished theoretical or empirical contributions to basic research in psychology.
- APA Distinguished Scientific Award for the Applications of Psychology
The APA Distinguished Scientific Award for the Applications of Psychology honors psychologists who have made distinguished theoretical or empirical advances in psychology leading to the understanding or amelioration of important practical problems.
- APA Distinguished Scientific Awards for an Early Career Contribution to Psychology
This award recognizes excellent psychologists who are at early stages of their research careers.
- Award for Distinguished Professional Contributions to Applied Research
This award is given to a psychologist whose research has led to important discoveries or developments in the field of applied psychology.
- Award for Distinguished Contributions to Independent Practice
The award is intended to recognize outstanding independent practitioners in psychology.
- Award for Distinguished Professional Contributions to Institutional Practice
The award is intended to recognize outstanding practitioners in psychology.
- APA/APAGS Award for Distinguished Graduate Student In Professional Psychology
This award honors a graduate student who has demonstrated outstanding practice and application of psychology.
- Award for Distinguished Contributions to Psychology in the Public Interest
This award recognizes people who have advanced psychology as a science and/or profession by a single extraordinary achievement or a lifetime of outstanding contributions in the public interest.
- Award for Distinguished Contributions to Research in Public Policy
This award honors a psychologist who has made a distinguished empirical and/or theoretical contribution to research in public policy, either through a single extraordinary achievement or a lifetime of work.
- APA Award for Distinguished Contributions to the International Advancement of Psychology
This award honors an individual who has made sustained and enduring contributions to international cooperation and the advancement of knowledge in psychology.
- APA International Humanitarian Award
This APA award recognizes extraordinary humanitarian service and activism by a psychologist or a team of psychologists, including professional and/or volunteer work conducted primarily in the field with underserved populations.
Call for Nominations/Awards
- Division International Activities Grant (DIAG) Program
This award will provide support for division-initiated programs aimed at fostering internationalization and international members outreach.
- APA Grants for International Psychologists and Psychology Students to Attend the APA Annual Convention
This award provides up to $500 to psychologists and psychology students based outside the U.S. and Canada, to be applied toward costs related to the APA convention (e.g., travel expenses or registration fees).
- Distinguished Contributions to the Advancement of Disability Issues in Psychology Award
This award seeks to recognize an APA member who has had a significant and enduring impact on advancing the role of psychological principles to enhance the lives of and promote the inclusion of people with disabilities in society.
- American Psychological Foundation (APF)
APF provides financial support for innovative research and programs that enhance the power of psychology to elevate the human condition and advance human potential both now and in generations to come.
From APA Directorates
- APA directorate updates
These updates are provided as possible content for sharing in division newsletters, websites, mailing lists, social networking, etc.
The Next Dialogue
The next issue of Division Dialogue will be published March 9, 2015. To submit content pertinent to divisions and division leaders, email Keith Cooke by Feb. 20, 2015. See our instructions for more information.