New Opportunities for Psychologists in the National Health Service Corps — February 2010
All health service psychologists with doctoral degrees (PhD and Psy D) are eligible for the NHSC Loan Repayment Program: clinical, counseling and school psychologists. In addition, the NHSC Loan Repayment Program is now open to geropsychologists. Of the eligible health professions, those that specialize in health care for older adults are specifically eligible.
NHSC LRP awards will be available on a first come, first served basis for all health service psychologists. Applicants are encouraged to apply early and applications are being accepted through July 29, 2010. To apply for the LRP visit the NHSC loan repayment page.
Behavioral and mental health provider loan repayors receive no more than $145,000 for two to seven years of service 40 hours per week. Participants fulfill their service commitments by providing at least 21 hours per week of direct patient counseling in an ambulatory outpatient care setting in the office(s) specified on the Community Site Information Form or the Practice Agreement. Nineteen hours must be spent providing clinical services in alternative settings, or performing practice-related administrative activities. Administrative activities will not exceed eight hours per week.
2010 Education Policy News
- Federal Education Programs of Interest to Psychology: Past and Current Appropriations Levels — February 2010
- Federal Grants Support Mental Health in Schools — January 2010
- National Health Service Corps Announces Increase in Loan Repayment Funding — April 2011
- HHS Programs of Interest to the Psychology Education and Training Community — February 2010
- The Obama Administration’s Fiscal Year 2011 Health and Human Services Budget — February 2010