PI-GRO supports National Criminal Justice Commission Act
On October 30, APA’s Public Interest Government Relations Office (PI-GRO) sent a letter to Senator Jim Webb (D-VA) in support of the National Criminal Justice Commission Act of 2009, S. 714. This important legislation:
- Charges a high-profile national panel with providing comprehensive analysis on the American criminal justice system and recommendations for reform;
- Outlines specific substantive areas of focus for the work of the Commission;
- Highlights the challenges that mental health and substance abuse needs pose for the criminal justice system;
- Reserves a seat on the Commission for an expert in public, mental, and behavioral health; and
- Requires the Commission to make recommendations on improving the treatment of mental health disorders both in the criminal justice system and in society.