Public Interest Advocacy
- Plan Now for PsycAdvocates™ Day, August 4, 2011 (PDF, 253KB)
- APA Initiatives on Immigration and Related Issues
Over the last decade, APA has engaged in education, outreach and advocacy on behalf of immigrants
- Paycheck Fairness Act
On Tuesday, July 20, Senior Director Shari Miles-Cohen, PhD attended a White House Middle Class Task Force event to hear Vice President Joseph Biden implore members of the U.S. Senate to be “on the right side of history” by passing the Paycheck Fairness Act (H.R. 12 and S. 182).
- Healthy Media for Youth Week
APA will recognize Healthy Media for Youth Week which will feature activities, programs and learning opportunities spearheaded by the APA Public Interest Directorate to draw attention to ways in which psychological research has substantiated the tremendous impact that media has on our youth.
- K-12: APA Supports Federal Legislation to Expand K-12 Social and Emotional Learning Programs
This vital legislation would increase the federal investment in social and emotional learning programs in schools by creating a national technical assistance center and grants to states and school districts
- Health Care Reform
- Congress Recognizes ADA’s 20th Anniversary
APA has been active in supporting legislation that ensures equal access to health care, education, technology and others services to individuals with mental and physical disabilities
- APA Celebrates Passage of Post-Partum Depression Legislation
The Melanie Blocker Stokes Post Partum Depression Research and Care Act will increase research, education and outreach for new mothers and families suffering from postpartum depression
- APA Letter to Members of Congress Encouraging Support of Repealing "Don’t Ask, Don't Tell" Policy (PDF, 64KB)