APAGS strives to provide assistance and support to student leaders across all divisions through the DSRN, or Division Student Representative Network. The APAGS-DSRN is a virtual network of student leaders from nearly all of APA's 54 divisions who assist each other by sharing best practices and honing their leadership skills in a collaborative environment.
DSRN members communicate via a closed group email list. Members regularly ask questions and bounce programming ideas off one another. A shared concern is giving the student voice greater presence within their divisions. Students are also generally concerned with ways of developing leadership structures, increasing student membership and retention, developing student programming and collaborating with APAGS and other divisions on longer-term projects.
APAGS is committed to growing the DSRN by providing additional trainings and sources of support for students based on commonly identified needs. We also encourage the reciprocal dissemination of information between divisions and APAGS.
The mission of the DSRN is to:
- Promote student leadership within APA divisions.
- Connect the student leaders of APA divisions with APAGS and with each other.
- Provide a forum to address the challenges involved in student leadership while aiding in the development of leadership skills.
- Focus on student specific issues such as how divisions can better serve their student members and collaborate with APAGS.
- Provide a unifying framework and standard procedural recommendations to divisions so that student leadership is most effectively utilized.
- DSRN member directory (PDF, 399KB), updated twice yearly. Use this contact list to reach your peers in another division.
- In 2014, APAGS and DSRN members recorded an advice-packed webinar in six segments, offering tips to help you reach your goals in division student leadership roles. View the video description to jump to various topics of interest.
- In 2014, division student representatives compiled a list of best practices (PDF, 112KB) on a host of different themes. Borrow ideas that worked for others.
- In 2012, student representatives compiled a list of sage advice for new student leaders (PDF, 298KB).
- APAGS provides this handout (PDF, 581KB) yearly to new division presidents on APAGS and lessons learned about student engagement.
- APA Divisions Service Office's Division Dialogue newsletter is packed with good tips and resources.
- Borrow ideas from the Committee on Early Career Psychology's list of 25 ideas that work (PDF, 351KB) for state psychological associations to recruit and retain recent graduates.
- A guide to benefits for graduate students, indexed by division.
- Interdivisional Grant Program.
- APAGS Outstanding Division of the Year Award.
- Many divisions list their awards in this master APA database. If your award is not listed, contact Eddy Ameen, PhD, for details on how to submit it.
The DSRN was created and officially launched at the 2004 APA Annual Convention in Honolulu as a response to several requests received by APAGS from APA divisions asking that APAGS liaise to their groups and help them recruit student members, enhance their benefits for students and develop a closer relationship with APAGS and our shared constituencies. APAGS recognized that student leadership within APA divisions and APAGS is of strategic benefit to the APA organization as a whole, promoting and building a strong future professional membership base and facilitating leadership skill development for APA leaders of the future. Students representing eight of the 54 APA divisions came together at the first DSRN meeting where they were able to network, share ideas and discuss plans for future projects, including the development of a resource guide.
In order to officially become a part of the DSRN, you should be an incoming or existing student leader in your division. Please email APAGS the following information:
- Your name.
- Division's number and name.
- Start and end dates of leadership with your division.
- Graduate program and subfield.
- Preferred email address and telephone number.
- Whether you consent for your name and email to be listed on this page in an APAGS DSRN directory.
There are no fees or APAGS member/APA student affiliate membership requirements to be a part of the DSRN. The time commitment is what you make of it; generally, reading and responding to emails will take less than one hour per month. There are no travel requirements. Though APAGS cannot reimburse convention travel expenses, we do offer members a free business/networking luncheon at convention, generally on the first day. Each division is encouraged to invite at least one student to serve as a division representative to APAGS. APAGS does not dictate which student leader(s) is(are) appointed to the DSRN. Generally, this student leader is the student member on the board, or the chair(s) of the student section or committee. To make the most out of one's involvement, it is most helpful if the DSRN member also has other responsibilities to the division beyond serving as a representative to APAGS.
Please contact Eddy Ameen, PhD, assistant director of APAGS, with questions.