Professional Development Awards for High School Psychology Teachers
The purpose of these awards is to help high school psychology teachers travel to and attend the 2015 American Psychological Association Annual Convention, Aug. 6-9, 2015, Toronto.
Applicants may be awarded up to $500 to attend the APA Annual Convention. Funds can be used to offset costs of travel, conference registration, and housing accommodations. Applicants must provide a budget for conference costs. These grants are made possible through the American Psychological Foundation, thanks to a generous gift from Lee Gurel, PhD.
$2,500 is available for funding.
- Currently teach at least one high school psychology course and expect to teach psychology in the following academic year.
- Be a current high school teacher affiliate of the American Psychological Association (high school teacher affiliates are automatically members of the APA Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools (TOPSS) — see the high school teacher affiliate application.
Education Directorate staff will examine all applications for eligibility.
- Applicants must use the official application form (PDF, 24KB). The application form must be typed or neatly printed.
- Decisions will be based on need and funding availability. A panel of no fewer than three members appointed by the TOPSS Committee chair will make funding recommendations to the Education Directorate.
- Award recipients will be announced in late April. Funds will be provided directly to applicants following the announcement of the award recipients.
- Within 30 days of attending the APA Convention, each award recipient must submit a one-page summary of what he or she gained professionally from attending the convention, receipts for convention-related expenses totaling at least the amount of the award and a letter of verification of convention participation that is signed by the school principal or convention organizer. This letter can be prepared by the recipient and cosigned by him or her and the principal or organizer.
Please send completed application form by April 1, 2015 to:
APA Education Directorate
Attn: Martha Boenau
750 First Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002-4242
Fax: (202) 336-5962