The Board of Educational Affairs (BEA) shall consist of not fewer than 12 members of the association, who shall serve terms of not less than three years each. It shall have general concern for education and training affairs which transcend more than one division or group of psychologists. Members of the BEA shall be selected to represent the range of interest characteristic of psychology in all its aspects.
Mission and Purpose
Recommend to the Board of Directors and Council of Representatives changes to its programs and operational priorities which would allow APA to take a leadership role for the nation in the educational arena.
Serve consultative and advisory role with respect to ongoing planning and operations of the Education Directorate, in consultation with its executive director.
Ensure importance and commitment to diversity in education and training in all of its activities and initiatives.
BEA shall consist of not fewer than 12 members of the association and may include up to five external participants.
Members serve for staggered three-year terms; external participants are appointed to serve for one year but may be reappointed for up to three years.
External participants are appointed to provide BEA with the benefit of expertise in a variety of areas that may not exist within the BEA membership in that given year.
BEA meetings are held twice a year — in the spring and fall. Conference calls and discussion over electronic email lists are administered in between meetings.
Amber Shifflett (email)
- 2014 Chair: Jodie B. Ullman, PhD (2012-14)
- G. Andrew H. Benjamin, JD, PhD, ABPP (2012-14)
- Sharon L. Berry, PhD (2013-15)
- Amy C. Fineburg, PhD (2013-15)
- Sandra Graham, PhD (2012-14)
- Tammy L. Hughes, PhD (2014-16)
- David Lubinski, PhD (2014-16)
- John C. Norcross, PhD, ABPP (2013-15)
- Julie Penley, PhD (2012-14)
- Susan Krauss Whitbourne, PhD (2014-16)
- Erica Wise, PhD (2014-16)
- Karen F. Wyche, PhD (2013-15)
Committees Reporting to the APA Board of Directors
- Committee on Education and Training Awards (E&T Awards)
- Continuing Education Committee
- Commission on Accreditation
- Committee of Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools
- Committee of Psychology Teachers at Community Colleges
- Commission for the Recognition of Specialties and Proficiencies in Professional Psychology (CRSPPP)
- Designation Committee for Postdoctoral Education and Training Programs in Psychopharmacology for Prescriptive Authority
APA Task Forces and Working Groups Reporting to the BEA
- BEA Supervision Guidelines Task Force
- BEA Task Force on Guidelines for Master's Programs in Psychology
- BEA Working Group on Strengthening the Common Core of the Introductory Psychology Course
- BEA Working Group on Trainee Conflicts Serving a Diverse Clientele