Recognition of Organizations that Provide Certifications in Specialties and Proficiencies in Professional Psychology
Organizations that provide certifications in APA-recognized specialties and proficiencies may apply to be recognized by APA so that individuals with a certification from the organization can have that credential listed in the APA membership directory.
The Commission for the Recognition of Specialties and Proficiencies in Professional Psychology (CRSPPP) carries out this recognition process.
Details of the recognition process are included in the Policies and Procedures Manual (PDF, 85KB).
How to Apply
- Review the Criteria for the Recognition of Organizations that Provide Certifications (PDF, 85KB).
- Download the application (PDF, 326KB) and gather documentation to meet each of the five criteria. Applicants who would like assistance in completing the application may email the APA Office of Graduate and Postgraduate Education and Training or call (202) 336-5855.
- Submit the application to Jan-Sheri Morris. Bookmarked, searchable PDFs are the preferred format.
- The application deadline is Sept. 16, 2014. Applications may be submitted for earlier review. Contact Jan-Sheri Morris for specific deadlines.
Organizations Applying for Recognition
The following list indicates receipt of application for recognition, signaling voluntary application for recognition by the organization noted. The list reflects organizations currently or recently undergoing the review process.
|Organization Name||Date of Application||Status|
|American Board of Professional Neuropsychology (ABN)||9/2/2013||Recognized
|American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP)||2/5/2013||Recognized|
How to Provide Comments
The commission accepts third-party comments about organizations applying for recognition. All third-party comments must state the name of the people or parties represented by each comment. Issues addressed in comments must be limited to the organization's consistency with the Criteria for the Recognition of Organizations that Provide Certifications in Specialties and Proficiencies in Professional Psychology (PDF, 85KB).
All comments must be in writing and are limited to 10 pages. To process third-party comments in the most efficient manner, comments should be provided within 90 days of the program's date of application.
Submit comments to Jan-Sheri Morris or Catherine Grus, PhD.
Application and Related Documents
Application Instructions (PDF, 326KB)
- Policies and Procedures Manual (PDF, 85KB)