Psychology Teacher Network
A publication of the Education Directorate
November 2012 | Vol. 22, No. 3
Featured StorySuzanne Bennett Johnson, PhD
- Using CUR’s Characteristics of Excellence to improve undergraduate research: Considerations for integrating research into the curriculum
Best practices for incorporating research into the curriculum
By Susan Larson, PhD
- Students presenting research posters
Helpful tips for teaching students on how to construct and present research posters
By Janie H. Wilson, PhD
- Heroic Imagination Project
The Heroic Imagination Project provides lessons and tools to encourage “everyday heroism”
By Clint Wilkins
- TOPSS: 20 years of excellence and 20 more to come
Reflections on the important accomplishments of TOPSS
By Michael McLane
- Meet the 2012 APA TOPSS Excellence in Teaching Award recipients
Learn more about the 2012 TOPSS “Teachers of the Year”
By Jann Longman, MA
- APA Center for Psychology in Schools and Education update
Highlights of recent initiatives in CPSE
By Ashley Edmiston
- Have you seen the free search help resources for teachers and students available from APA?
Teach your students how to search APA’s research databases
By Anne Breitenbach
- 2012 APA/Clark University Workshop for High School Teachers: A summary
News from the 2012 workshop
- 2012 APA Convention award program for high school teachers and students
Highlights from the teachers and students who attended this year’s convention through a special award program
By Caitlin Crowley
- High school psychology enrollment numbers
Psychology in secondary schools continues to rise
- Summer opportunities for students
Links to research and internship opportunities for undergraduate and high school students
From the Associate Executive Director of Education
- Supporting community college faculty across the STEM disciplines
Workshop seeks to connect community college faculty to resources
By Robin Hailstorks, PhD
- BEA Grants for Precollege & Undergraduate Teaching Conferences
These grants support precollege and undergraduate teaching conferences to enhance the quality of teaching and learning outcomes.
News from the TOPSS and PT@CC Committees
- PT@CC and TOPSS Committee election results
PT@CC and TOPSS welcome new committee members
- New resources for psychology teachers
TOPSS announces new lesson plans, online modules and videos
- PT@CC Excellence in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning at a Two-Year College or Campus Award
The purpose of this award is to recognize the important contributions being made by psychology faculty at two-year institutions.
- APA TOPSS Competition for High School Psychology Students
High school students are asked to write an essay describing the biopsychosocial factors that contribute to obesity and offering a solution using psychological science.
- 2014 PT@CC Student Presentation Contest
Entries must be submitted by March 31, 2014.
Workshops and Conferences
- National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology (NITOP) conference
The 35th Annual NITOP conference will be held on Jan. 3-6, 2013 in St. Petersburg Beach, Fla.
- Southeastern Conference on the Teaching of Psychology (SETOP)
The 25th SETOP conference will take place on March 1-2, 2013, in Atlanta, Ga.
- Regional psychological association conferences
Mark your calendar for the 2013 annual meetings of the regional psychological associations