2014 TOPSS Call For Nominations
The mission of the APA Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools (TOPSS) is to:
- Promote the highest standards in teaching of psychology both as a science and discipline.
- Promote professional development and other means for lifelong learning for high school teachers of psychology.
- Increase professional identity and promote leadership for high school psychology teachers of psychology.
- Facilitate networking, including the formation of both horizontal and vertical linkages, among teachers from all teaching levels of psychology.
- Encourage recruitment and retention of students, particularly minorities, in the field of psychology.
- Enhance visibility and legitimacy of high school psychology within the American Psychological Association.
- Enhance the visibility of legitimacy of high school psychology with other members of the psychological community.
- Recommend the appropriate response advocacy, education policy and certification issues that impact on the quality or viability of teaching of high school psychology.
If you would like to become more involved in TOPSS, and are interested in gaining leadership experience and positively impacting the teaching of high school psychology, we encourage you to consider serving on the TOPSS Committee. TOPSS is especially interested in encouraging individuals from all locations and from diverse backgrounds (including diversity in race/ethnicity, gender, ability/disability, sexual orientation, age and religion) to consider running for TOPSS Office.
In 2014, the following elected positions will be filled:
Chair-elect (three-year term).
(2) Member-at-large (two-year term).
The TOPSS Committee meets twice a year in spring and fall in Washington, D.C. The APA covers travel and accommodation expenses. Please consider nominating a colleague who you feel would make a positive impact. Self-nominations are also welcomed.
Nominations are due by July 1, 2014.
Nominees for the 2014 TOPSS Election are asked to submit the following materials/documents, to be posted to the TOPSS website during the voting period:
Vita or resume.
Personal statement (view winning platform examples (PDF, 32KB). Please note that previous platform statements did not ask candidates to address how they would support and further the mission of TOPSS).
Personal statements must be limited to one page (font size may be 10 point, and margins can be adjusted accordingly) and provide information in three sections:
Education and professional experience.
Professional activities and honors.
A platform statement.
In the platform statement, candidates should address how they would support and further the mission of TOPSS.
Please send nominations and materials to:
Emily Leary Chesnes
APA Education Directorate
750 First Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002-4242
Electronic submissions will be accepted. Please send electronic files of nomination materials to Emily Leary Chesnes.