Resources from APA and TOPSS
- National Standards for High School Psychology Curricula
This document is constructed to guide curriculum decisions by providing content and performance standards to guide teachers in designing psychology instruction.
- Guidelines for Preparing High School Psychology Teachers: Course-Based and Standards-Based Approaches
The purpose of these guidelines is to outline training models for the preparation of teachers of high school psychology.
- Unit Lesson Plans
APA TOPSS provides teachers with unit lesson plans, each containing a content outline, suggested resources and activities, and references.
- Psychology Teacher Network (PTN)
PTN is a quarterly newsletter for teachers of introductory psychology.
- Power Points for High School Psychology Teachers
Psychology Power Point demonstrations for teachers to use in the classroom.
- Sample Pacing Calendars
The sample pacing calendars provide teachers with examples of actual calendars from psychology teachers.
- Online Module on Research Methods, Measurement and Statistics
The module provides a review of content found in the Research Methods, Measurement and Statistics standard area of the National Standards for High School Psychology Curricula.
- Resource manual for new teachers of high school psychology
This new resource manual provides resources and helpful suggestions to new psychology teachers.
- Outstanding Student in Psychology Certificates
These certificates recognize outstanding students of psychology.
- Online Psychology Laboratory — OPL
The OPL website offers students opportunities to participate in studies and engage in data analysis.
- APA website Toolbar for Psychology Teachers
APA has included links to the most relevant and practical content, tools and feeds from the APA webpages in this toolbar that can be easily downloaded to your web browser.
- TOPSS Speakers Bureau
The TOPSS Speakers Bureau provides an opportunity for high school and community college teachers to find and contact local psychologists who are available to visit psychology classrooms to speak with students.
- Psychology Awareness Initiative
The Psychology Awareness Initiative offers suggestions to help teachers promote awareness of psychology in their schools and in their communities.
- Workshops and Conferences
Teaching workshops and conferences are great venues for professional development and networking.
- TOPSS Minority Recruiting Recommendations
These TOPSS Minority Recruiting Recommendations aim to encourage and motivate minority high school students to consider pursuing psychology as a career and through meetings with role models and mentors.
The APA Education Directorate and TOPSS have provided videos for psychology teachers to view and/or use in class as appropriate. Support for this project came from the American Psychological Foundation.
Find more information at Videos for Psychology Teachers.