Qualities and Actions of Effective Therapists
Research suggests that certain psychotherapist characteristics are key to successful treatment. The qualities and actions of effective therapist, based on theory, policy and research evidence, can guide therapists toward continual improvement.
Part of the Online Article CE Series (OACES).
- Demonstrate knowledge of the research evidence related to effective psychotherapy.
- Explain the role of the therapist in delivering treatments.
- Describe the characteristics and actions of effective therapists.
Bruce E. Wampold, PhD, ABPP is chair and professor of Counseling Psychology and clinical professor of Psychiatry at the University of Wisconsin—Madison. He is a fellow of APA (Divisions 12, 17, 29, 45), a diplomate of the American Board of Professional Psychology and a recipient of the APA Distinguished Professional Contributions to Applied Research Award. Currently his work involves understanding psychotherapy from empirical, historical and anthropological perspectives and is summarized in Wampold, B. E. (2001). The great psychotherapy debate: Models, methods, and findings. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- This exam is available online and can ONLY be purchased online. Phone orders will not be accepted.
- You can not purchase two or more of the same online exam.
- A valid email address or your UserID and a password are required during the ordering process. When the order is complete, you will receive an email notification with instructions on how to retrieve