The Impact of Stress and Trauma Related to Military Deployment on Personnel and Their Families
This is an INTERMEDIATE workshop for clinicians interested in learning about the needs of military personnel and their families during and after military deployments. Faculty of the Center for Deployment Psychology will discuss recently published findings regarding the impact of deployment and combat exposure on service members, the stress of deployment on families, and the complex individual and family problems associated with postdeployment difficulties including posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Using data from published studies and case material from recently deployed OEF/OIF service members, the presenters will examine the utility of cognitive-behavioral treatments for PTSD in this population.
Part of the APA Online Academy Convention Workshop Presentations Campus.
- Comprehend the military deployment cycle,
- Recognize common stressors for service members and their families throughout the military deployment cycle,
- Describe the emotional and psychological impact of combat deployments on military personnel and their families,
- Identify characteristics of individuals and families that may indicate that they are at increased risk for problems during and after deployment,
- Recognize the potential impact of stigma on the willingness of military personnel and their families to seek mental health care,
- List factors that contribute to difficulties in families of service members who return from combat with significant emotional difficulties, and
- Evaluate possible clinical interventions that may be used to address the needs of recently deployed personnel and their families.
David S. Riggs, PhD; William Brim, PsyD; Debra Nofziger, PsyD
$120.00 for Members/Affiliates
Go to the APA Online Academy Registration Form.
If you are an APA member, please have your Membership Number available. If you don't know it, you can look up your membership number online or contact APA directly at (800) 374-2721, ext. 5580.
If you are paying by credit card, you will immediately receive an email confirmation with instructions on how to access the course and your username and password.
If you are paying by check, there is a ONE BUSINESS DAY waiting period before you can access your course. You should still register online.