Caring for the Military Family: What We All Should Know About Military Culture and the Stress of Deployment
APA partnered with the White House Joining Forces Initiative, headed by First Lady Michelle Obama and Jill Biden, EdD, to support the psychological needs of our service members and their families. As part of this initiative, APA's Education Directorate offered a live webcast to help prepare current and future psychologists to provide evidence-based, culturally competent services in the area of deployment psychology.
This workshop provides an overview of military culture including its history, organizational structure, core values, branches of the service, mission and operations. In addition, it examines military deployment and the unique experiences that service members, their spouses and their children face throughout the deployment cycle. The presentation incorporates research findings to discuss stressors and challenges associated with separations, reunions and reintegration.
Part of the Clinician's Corner category on our BizVision partner site.
- Identify military terminology and operations in order to facilitate effectively treating military personnel.
- Identify stressors faced by service members and their families before deploying, during deployment and after deployment.
- Discuss the adaptive skills used by service members while in a combat zone that may be problematic, when applied at home, as well as effective strategies for facilitating healthy and positive reunions between returning service members and their families.
David S. Riggs, PhD
$45.00 for Members/Affiliates
- Purchase this course through our partner. Your MyAPA login will not work on this site. If you have not used this site before you will need to create a log-in in order to register for the program.
- Select Add to Cart. Continue Shopping for additional programs or select proceed to checkout. Enter payment information; review and submit order. You will receive confirmation of your purchase via BizVision support.
- If you are paying by check, please visit our FAQ page for instructions.