Cultural Competence in Trauma Treatment
Trauma does not occur to a generic human being. Rather, trauma interacts with the unique set of characteristics and experiences that each person brings to their encounter with dangerous, painful and disruptive events. Even the most effective treatment will work less well with trauma survivors when cultural competence is not woven into trauma therapies. This workshop will introduce participants to a paradigm for thinking about the range and variety of cultural locations and intersecting identities that come into play when a person experiences trauma. We will consider a number of possible strategies for identifying what constitute trauma, going beyond DSM IV definitions to feminist and multicultural formulations. We will explore how therapists can enhance their cultural competence by considering how gender, ethnicity, culture, social class and other markers of social location combine with experiences of power and powerlessness to lend special vulnerabilities as well as special competencies and resiliencies to trauma survivors.
Part of the Interactive Classroom Program category on our BizVision partner site.
- Comprehend the concepts of multiple intersecting identities and social locations, using the ADDRESSING model as a paradigm.
- Describe aversive bias and privilege, and their effects on cultural competence in therapy.
- Acquire basic information about effective trauma treatments and understand how each one supports culturally competent intervention.
- Acquire information about a range of definitions of trauma.
- Comprehend how social location creates enhanced vulnerability as well as enhance resilience in response to trauma.
Laura S. Brown, PhD, ABPP
- Purchase this course through our partner. Your MyAPA login will not work on this site. If you have not used this site before you will need to create a log-in in order to register for the program.
- Select Add to Cart. Continue Shopping for additional programs or select proceed to checkout. Enter payment information; review and submit order. You will receive confirmation of your purchase via BizVision support.
- If you are paying by check, please visit our FAQ page for instructions.