The Back Page
Sound off: Do you conduct any rituals before beginning each new semester?
Sais Singh: "I pray over my laptop that my writing and research will be missed by the electronic demons that lurk the Internet and corrupt our systems the day before an assignment is due."
Helena Velho: "I always cut my hair and buy new clothes."
Jill Dermyer: "Brand new, bright yellow legal pads! Ahhhh ... they're like a fresh bouquet of flowers."
Kevin Devon Ambrose: "I create new notebooks in Microsoft Onenote and create sections for all my classes."
Top 10 lies told by graduate students
10. It doesn't bother me at all that my college roommate is making $80,000 a year on Wall Street.
9. I'd be delighted to proofread your book/chapter/article.
8. My work has a lot of practical importance.
7. I would never date an undergraduate.
6. Your latest article was so inspiring.
5. I turned down a lot of great job offers to come here.
4. I just have one more book to read, then I'll start writing.
3. The department is giving me so much support.
2. My job prospects look really good.
1. No, really, I'll be out of here in only two more years.
Reprinted with permission from The Harvard Crimson