APA International Learning Partner Program
Travel to Cuba with APA International Learning Partner Program — 2014
Travel with psychology colleagues to Cuba to begin sustained collaborations with Cuban psychologists. Learn about the Cuban health system and attend the 7th International Congress on Health Psychology — Psychohealth 2014, organized by the Cuban Society for Health Psychology.
Cost: $2,900 per person, $185 single supplement
Dates: Nov. 8-16, 2014
Deadlines: Expression of interest and CV must be emailed to the Office of International Affairs by June, 30 2014. A $560 trip deposit is due by Sept. 5, 2014.
Participation is limited to 20 travelers.
Initiated in 2012, the APA International Learning Partner Program is designed to promote an understanding of psychology and psychological issues in countries outside the United States. The goals of the APA International Learning Partner Program are to promote understanding of psychology outside the United States, and international collaboration in research, education and scholarship.
The purpose of the 2014 trip to Cuba is to foster the development of sustained collaborations between U.S. and Cuban psychologists through participation at the 7th International Congress on Health Psychology. Participants will attend the congress and (if desired) make presentations and participate in round table discussions. The group will be led by 2012 APA President Suzanne Bennett Johnson, who was the group leader for the 2013 Cuban trip.
The group will include 20 psychologists (doctoral level or graduate student), under the leadership of 2012 APA President Suzanne Bennett Johnson, and accompanied by APA staff. Eligible psychologists are those with an interest in health psychology — in research, education or scholarship — who are interested in learning about the Cuban health care system and who are interested in contact and sustained collaboration with Cuban psychology colleagues. Spanish language facility is preferred, although not required. Participants will engage in a full time program with Cuban psychology colleagues at the congress, and in preparatory and orientation meetings. Participants are encouraged to submit a presentation to the 7th International Congress on Health Psychology.
Deadline for eligibility: June 30
Expression of Interest. Travel to the conference requires a special license from the U.S. Treasury Department, which is provided individually, under the auspices of APA. Because of this requirement, it is necessary for APA to submit vitas for all potential travelers for licensing. The deadline for an expression of interest is June 30, 2014 so that names may be submitted for a special license to the Treasury Department. Submitting an expression of interest does not a commit you to travel.
By June 30, 2014 — send an email with subject: "2014 CUBA and an attached CV" to firstname.lastname@example.org. Notices of license eligibility will be sent as soon as processed (anticipated by August 2014).
Deadline for travel: Sept. 5
The application and deposit deadline is Sept. 5, 2014. To secure a spot, participants must complete application materials and pay a deposit, with a final deadline of Sept. 5, 2014. If there are more subscribers than participant slots, applications will be screened for eligibility and taken on a first come basis. Once the participant list is full, applicants will be placed on a waiting list. Deposits will be processed when applicants are confirmed to travel.
Application materials must be sent to Common Ground Travel, 359 Main Street, #2a, Easthampton, MA 01027. They include:
- Completed travel application form (PDF 122KB).
- Completed flight reservation form (PDF, 42KB).
- Copy of your CV.
- Copy of your U.S. passport showing validity six months beyond Nov. 16, 2014. If you need to renew your passport please submit a note indicating date of renewal application (and do not submit an old passport copy).
- Non-U.S. citizens please submit a copy of your passport and U.S. residency permit or visa with re-entry permitted.
If Cuban-born, notify Common Ground Travel who will assist with any additional paperwork required.
- Completed travel affidavit (PDF 53KB).
- Deposit of $560 ($300 travel and $260 congress registration) issued as check or with credit card information completed on application form.
Send these documents to Common Ground Travel, 359 Main Street, #2a, Easthampton, MA 01027; or fax to 413-529-1119.
You will receive acknowledgement of your submission.
Notification and Deposit
- Expression of interest and CV are due June 30, 2014. Notification of receipt of expression of interest will be sent on receipt of CV. Notification of special license for travel to Cuba will be sent in August 2014.
- Application forms and deposit due Sept. 5, 2014. Notification of application materials will be sent on receipt. Notification of eligibility to travel will be sent Sept. 15, 2014.
- Final payment due Sept. 23, 2014.
In partnership with Professionals Abroad, APA sponsored professional visits to Cuba, which has traditionally been less accessible to travel and exchange. Program participants traveled as a group, met with psychology organizations, faculty, service providers and researchers, visited university, community and clinical settings and participated in cultural activities.
- Cuba 2013: Led by Suzanne Bennett Johnson, PhD, participants met with Cuban colleagues to discuss major health issues and psychology's unique role in health care and health education in Cuba. The program included one "mini-conference" day with presentations and exchange with Cuban psychologists on research/application topics. For more about this visit, see APA sponsors second professional visit to Cuba.
Cuba 2012: A group of 16 psychologists travelled to Cuba with program leader Carol Goodheart, EdD, to explore models of psychology education and training, and mental health systems in Cuba. The program report (PDF, 687KB) includes a summary of each meeting, personal/cultural highlights of the visit, outcomes and next steps. This program was eligible for CE credit.