APA Offices and International Programs
Many of APA’s directorates and offices coordinate ongoing programs and individual activities that work internationally or include an international component.
- ACT/Parents Raising Safe Kids Program
This program is designed to educate parents and other adults who raise and care for young children to create early environments that protect children from violence. The Public Interest Directorate's Violence Prevention Office has helped to implement this program in Greece, Colombia, Peru, Cyprus and Brazil.- Monitor on Psychology (May 2011): “Something to celebrate”- Monitor on Psychology (November 2011): “ACT goes international”
The APA Ethics Office offers invited workshops and ethics consultation to national associations developing a code of ethics.
- APA at the United Nations
APA is an accredited nongovernmental organization (NGO) at the United Nations and appoints representatives to collaborate with other NGO representatives and APA offices to identify issues, organize programs and draft statements that bring psychological science and psychology perspectives to bear on global policies and programs.
- Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF)
As a Special Awards Organization at Intel ISEF, the APA Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools (TOPSS) grants seven awards to the best projects representing psychological science. The effort is funded and organized through the APA Education Directorate.
- International Network on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Concerns & Transgender Issues in Psychology
The Public Interest Directorate’s LGBT Concerns Office coordinates a network composed of international psychological associations cooperating to increase cross-cultural collaboration among psychological researchers and practitioners who are concerned about the mental health and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender populations.
- The Office of International Affairs and the Committee on International Relations in Psychology provide a number of International Programs & Awards.
- The Office of Publications and Databases has an agreement with the Brazilian Psychological Association to translate and post APA banner stories. The office also grants licensure and permissions for APA product translation and dissemination.
- The Office on Socioeconomic Status annually participates in World Poverty Day, engaging internationally to learn how other organizations are addressing poverty.
- World Health Organization (WHO) ICD-10 Revision
APA provides support for WHO’s International Classification of Diseases (ICD) through a grant to the International Union of Psychological Science (IUPsyS).