A publication of the Office of International Affairs
December 2012 |Vol. 23, No. 4 Download Issue (PDF, 3.8MB)
DECEMBER 2012 FEATURED ARTICLESTina Q. Richardson and Puncky Paul Heppner
A summary of CIRP’s activities in 2012, outline of its mission and strategic goals, and discussion of the committee’s many collaborative projects and initiatives still in development.
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE...
- 20th Congress of the Mexican Psychological Society: MOU partners meet in Campeche
APA staff members participated in the congress and met with the society’s board of directors to discuss collaborative opportunities.
- The United Arab Emirates launches its first clinical psychology graduate program, taught in English
This program is the first psychology graduate program of any specialty in the UAE.
By Amber Haque, PhD
- APA announces its 2013 international award recipients
Maria Cristina Richaud and Fons van de Vijver are co-recipients of the APA Award for Distinguished Contributions to the International Advancement of Psychology, and M. Brinton Lykes is recipient of the APA International Humanitarian Award.
- Book review: Attaining the epistemological goal of indigenous psychology
Catherine Tien-Lun Sun reviews "Foundations of Chinese Psychology: Confucian Social Relations."
- Recently published
Recently published books relevant to international psychology.
SENIOR DIRECTOR'S COLUMN
PSYCHOLOGY IN ACTION
- Working with faith-based organizations in Tanzania to promote youth development
Tanzania's strategy for reducing HIV/AIDS infection informed research on the benefits of collaborating with faith-based organizations when rehabilitating and improving resilience in street children.
By Nubra Elaine Floyd, PhD
PSYCHOLOGY AT THE UN
- Human Rights Day 2012 – My voice counts: Inclusion and the right to participate in public life
Learn about the legal protections U.N. bodies have established for vulnerable populations, how psychologists can promote human rights, and current efforts to ensure dignity and social inclusion for all people.
By Juneau Gary, PsyD, and Neal S. Rubin, PhD, ABPP
- APA’s NGO representatives and interns at the United Nations visit APA headquarters
The U.N. team met with APA staff to discuss APA’s policy priorities and opportunities for synergy between the two groups.