American Psychological Foundation

Connie Chan joins APF Board

The American Psychological Foundation has appointed Connie Chan, PhD, to serve on its Board of Trustees. A licensed clinical psychologist, Chan is associate dean of the McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies at the University of Massachusetts, Boston, and a faculty supervisor for the Center for Multicultural Training in Psychology at Boston Medical Center. She chairs the Boston Women’s Fund, which provides grants and develops programs that strengthen grassroots initiatives and leadership of women and girls in the Boston area. She is also an expert on Asian-American health and mental health, and on sexuality and identity among people of color.

“The foundation is fortunate to have Connie Chan’s expertise, energy and talent on the APF Board,” says Board of Trustees President Dorothy W. Cantor, PsyD.

Chan has also held a number of APA leadership positions, including serving as president of Div. 44 (Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Issues) from 1991–92. She earned her undergraduate degree from Princeton University and her master’s and doctorate in clinical psychology from Boston University.

Donate your IRA and avoid a tax

If you have a traditional IRA and turned 70½ during 2010, you must start taking the required minimum distribution, which will be taxed. If you do not need your IRA distribution now, you can make a gift of your IRA distribution to a charity such as APF and avoid paying tax on it. If you are interested in making a charitable gift with your IRA, ask your IRA fund administrator to direct your IRA to the charity of your choice. Your distribution will be “rolled-over” from your IRA account to your charity, and will be a non-taxable gift. For more information, contact Elisabeth Straus at (202) 336-5824.

Upcoming APF deadlines

April 2011

May 2011

June 2011

For more information about APF’s funding programs, visit the American Psychological Foundation or contact Kim Palmer Rowsome, at (202) 336-5622.