APA Clinician's Corner: A New Therapy for Each Patient: Evidence-Based Methods to Tailor Treatment to the Individual Client
November 14, 2014
The APA Office of Continuing Education in Psychology (CEP) offers monthly Clinician's Corner workshops that feature leading practitioners and scholars working in key areas of professional practice. Participants have the opportunity to interact with the presenter. All workshops include CE credits. You can attend two ways:
- On-site (PDF, 40KB, in person at the APA building, 750 First St. NE, Washington, D.C.).
- Live webcast.
When: Friday, Nov. 14, 2014
Time: 1-4 p.m. ET
CE Credits: 3
Psychotherapy will maximize its effectiveness by targeting the most powerful sources of change: the therapeutic relationship and the patient him/herself. This workshop will provide integrative methods for adapting or tailoring therapy to individual clients and their singular contexts. Learn how to reliably assess and rapidly apply four evidence-based means for demonstrably improving treatment success. Discover how research and practice converge in relational responsiveness that fits both clients and clinicians.
This workshop is designed to help you:
- Determine a client's treatment and relationship preferences in ways that improve outcomes.
- Assess reliably a client's stage of change within one minute and tailor therapy to that stage.
- Individualize psychotherapy to each patient's reactance level and coping style.
Presenter: John C. Norcross, PhD, ABPP
About the presenter: Norcross is distinguished professor of psychology at the University of Scranton, adjunct professor of psychiatry at SUNY Upstate Medical University, a board-certified clinical psychologist, and an internationally recognized authority on behavior change and psychotherapy. Author of more than 400 publications, Norcross has co-written or edited 20 books, including "Psychotherapy Relationships that Work," "Clinician's Guide to Evidence-Based Practice," "Self-Help that Works" and "Systems of Psychotherapy: A Transtheoretical Analysis." He has served as president of APA divisions 12 (Society of Clinical Psychology) and 29 (Psychotherapy), and has received multiple awards, such as Pennsylvania Professor of the Year from the Carnegie Foundation and election to the National Academies of Practice. An engaging teacher and clinician, Norcross has conducted workshops in 30 countries.
Live webcast and on-site workshop fees: Member: $65; Nonmember: $80
How to Enroll (Two Options)
Live webcast only:
On-site only (in person at the APA Building, Washington, D.C.):
- By telephone: (800) 374-2721, ext. 5991 or (202) 336-5991 (within D.C. Metropolitan area); 9 a.m.–5 p.m., EST. Pay by credit card only (AMEX, MC, or VISA).
- By fax: (202) 336-6151: Pay by credit card only; must have valid signature and expiration date (AMEX, MC, or VISA).
- By mail: APA Accounting/CEP Office, Clinician's Corner Enrollment, 750 First St. NE, Washington, DC 20002-4242.
- The enrollment form (PDF, 40KB) will be accepted only with one of the following forms of payment: check, money order or valid credit card. Checks should be made payable to "American Psychological Association." On-site enrollment limit: 35 (Space is limited; sign up now).