In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
October 2007 | Vol. 2
On Thursday, September 27th, CWP and WPO hosted a well-attended leadership institute for women in psychology.
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE...
- Allison Pinto, Ph.D.
On Wednesday, October 10, APA member Allison Pinto, Ph.D. (Louis de la Parte Florida Medical Health Institute, University of South Florida) testified on behalf of APA at a House Committee on Education & Labor hearing entitled, “Cases of Child Neglect and Abuse at Private Residential Treatment Facilities.
- Negotiation Skills for Women
The Committee on Women in Psychology, with Division 35 and the Committee on Early Career Psychologists, sponsored a highly successful symposium entitled "Negotiation Skills Facilitate Career Advancement for Women in Psychology" during the APA convention in San Francisco.
- The field of psychology lost one of its preeminent African-American scholars in the person of Asa G. Hilliard, III, EdD.
Dr. Hilliard was a founding member of both the Association for the Study of Classical African Civilizations and the National Black Child Development Institute.
- Susan Benjamin Feingold, Psy.D- Clinical psychologist working with women who have postpartum depression
Representative Bobby Rush (D-IL) hosted a press conference to celebrate the passage of the Melanie Blocker-Stokes Postpartum Depression Research and Care Act (H.R. 20) in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Dewey Cornell, Ph.D. (Clinical psychologist and Professor of Education at the University of Virginia and Director of the Virginia Youth Violence Project)
The Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee sponsored a briefing on children’s mental health and juvenile justice issues as part of the reauthorization of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) legislation.
Congratulations Dr. Beth Boyd was inducted as President of the Society for the Psychological Study of Ethnic Minority Issues (Division 45).
- Office on AIDS to Develop And Test Online CE Training In End of Life Issues
APA’s Office on AIDS, in partnership with eNURSING llc is developing a 10-module series of continuing education programs for psychologists and other mental health providers who work with clients who are near the end of life.