In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
Public Interest Government Relations Office (PI-GRO) Continues to Advance Association Priorities for National Health Care Reform
In This Edition
- Milestone Reached with Introduction of LGBT Health Disparities Legislation
The Ending Health Disparities for LGBT Americans Act is the first comprehensive legislation addressing health disparities in this population.
- APA Takes Lead Role in Developing Congressional Resolution Introduced on African American Youth Resilience
The Resolution on Fostering Resilience in African American Youth draws on the work of an APA task force.
- APA Urges Congress to Strengthen Outreach to Military Service Members and Veterans
Psychologist Jeffrey Pollard testified before the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs Subcommittee on Health.
- PI-GRO Provides Critical Input on Reauthorization of Child Abuse Law, Contributes to Provisions Addressing Adoption
The draft bill incorporated most of APA's recommendations.
- APA Urges Caution in FDA Consideration of Psychotropic Drugs for Minors
APA expresses concern as the Food and Drug Administration considers approval of medications to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia in children.
- Congressional Briefing Emphasizes the Benefits of Workplace Flexibility
Organized by APA in partnership with other organizations, the briefing highlighted research on the benefits of family-friendly policies.
- Obama Signs Homelessness Legislation into Law
The Homeless Emergency Assistance and Rapid Transition to Housing Act focuses on getting families back into homes as soon as possible.
- New Leadership for Push to End Military "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Policy
APA staff continue to push for a repeal of the military ban on lesbian, gay and bisexual service members and reinstatement of those dismissed.
- Critical Children's Mental Health Legislation Reintroduced
APA staff support the Healthy Transitions Act, Mental Health in Schools Act and Positive Behavior for Safe and Effective Schools Act.
- GET INVOLVED IN ADVOCACY!
Stay informed about federal policy by joining APA's Public Policy Advocacy Network.