In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
The bill includes provisions related to integrated care, prevention and wellness, workforce development and other top APA priorities.
In This Edition
- Years of Advocacy Bring Leap Forward in Hate Crimes Law
In October, President Obama signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crime Prevention Act.
- APA Leads Efforts to Ensure HCR Addresses Health Disparities
Public Interest Directorate staff lead the National Working Group on Health Disparities and Health Reform.
- APA Promotes Eldercare Workforce Issues in HCR
At an advocacy day, APA and others urge Congress to ensure the availability of enough workers to care for an aging America.
- APA Presidential Task Force on Homelessness Takes Up Advocacy, Stakeholder Engagement
Task force members visited Congress and brainstorm with key stakeholders on how APA can help end homelessness.
- APA Testifies Before Senate Indian Affairs Committee
Dolores Subia BigFoot recommends strategies for preventing suicide among Native American youth.
- PI-GRO Continues to Advance Workplace Flexibility with Series of Congressional Briefings
Public Interest Executive Director Gwendolyn Keita highlights research findings on the importance of flexible work arrangements.
- APA Members Participate in Congressional Black Caucus Veterans Braintrust
Psychologist Kristin Lester educates legislators about the needs of women veterans and veterans of color.
- APA Supports Critical Legislation on Employment Protection, Disseminates Marriage Equality and LGBT Health Materials
APA urges passage of legislation preventing workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity.