In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In its first five years, the committee and office have remained committed to serving as a resource to psychology and the public in understanding SES and social class-related inequalities.
In this Issue
- Public Interest Convention Highlights
Topics include childhood obesity and health disparities, injury and violence protection, immigration and racial disparities, inequalities for women, and the promotion of health and wellness for women with disabilities
- Promoting Healthy Behaviors to Prevent Obesity and Unhealthy Weight Control in Our Youth
Approximately 18 percent of our youth are now overweight, with obesity rates in preschool age children increasing at alarming speed.
- APA Public Interest Award Winners
APA presents awards for Distinguished Contributions to Psychology in the Public Interest — Senior Career and Early Career — and Distinguished Contributions to Research in Public Policy.
- 2012 International AIDS Conference Highlights
The conference featured a space for communities and HIV/AIDS discussions in the Global Village, and a variety of related meetings and events
- The International Network for Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Concerns, and Transgender Issues in Psychology participated in the 30th International Congress of Psychology
The congress included symposiums that addressed LGBT issues
September Policy Updates
- APA Staff Moderates Discussion of Behavioral Health and HIV Prevention
Panelists described best practice programs and explored the integration of behavioral health and HIV prevention in community settings