In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
Lead StoryGwendolyn Puryear Keita, PhD
In This Issue
- Committee on Psychology in the Public Interest Awards
This awards program recognizes psychologists who have made distinguished contributions to the Public Interest that advance psychology as a science and/or a profession.
- Committee on Socioeconomic Status (CSES) marks UN World Poverty Day on Oct. 17
This observance promotes consciousness of the need to eradicate poverty across the globe.
- Parenting in Challenging Times Series
A new film project from the Violence Prevention Office — coming soon in 2014.
By Ayesha Gaston
- National Wellness Week
Living wellness: In an effort to inspire organizations and individuals to live well, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) launched National Wellness Week.
- Spend a year working on policy in Washington, D.C.
APA’s Congressional and Executive Branch Science Fellowships offer psychologists at all points in their careers the opportunity to apply their skills in government.
- APA represents psychology at the 2013 United States Conference on AIDS (USCA)
The annual USCA presents important opportunities for collaboration with government and the nonprofit, public health and scientific communities.