In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
Lead StoryToni C. Antonucci, PhD
In This Issue
- Nelson Mandela and Self-actualization — the need to be good, to be fully alive and to find meaning in life
Public Interest words of wisdom from Nelson Mandela.
By G. Tina Wolridge
- Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday is celebrated on Jan. 20, 2014
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s plea to APA’s 1967 Annual Convention remains relevant in the ongoing fight against racism today.
Haves and Have Nots: A College Student's Perspective
- The importance of increasing our compassion for the less fortunate
My holiday wish list turned into encouraging others.
By Marcy Rudins
- Congress Extends Program to Fight HIV/AIDS Abroad
APA supports bi-partisan measure to continue the President's Emergency Program for AIDS Relief.
- Psychologists Support Legislation to Fight HIV Discrimination
APA continues its work around laws that criminalize certain behaviors by HIV-positive persons.
- ‘Protect Food Assistance,' Urges APA
Letter urges farm bill negotiators not to cut funding to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
- APA Seeks Relief for Sequester and Federal Spending Cuts
Reductions harm key priorities for the field of psychology.
- APA Supports Paid Family Medical Leave
Legislation aims to create federal insurance fund for partial income compensation.