In the Public Interest
A publication of the Public Interest Directorate
In This Issue
- International Day Against Homophobia & Transphobia (IDAHOT)
An international opportunity to deliver the message that freedom of expression for LGBT people is a fundamental human right.
- Tip sheet for psychologists working with older adults and their families
The Office on Aging developed this list of resources for psychologists to help meet the mental and behavioral health needs of older adults.
- May is Employee Health & Fitness Month
APA supports the health and fitness of APA staff all year round.
- Promoting Psychological Research and Training on Health Disparities Issues at Ethnic Minority Serving Institutions (ProDIGs)
ProDIGs encourages student involvement in health disparities research training early in the educational pipeline.
- 2015 Public Interest Awards Call for Nominations
Don’t forget: Deadline is June 2, 2014.
- Public Interest Directorate Convention Highlights
Programming areas include aging, AIDS, children, youth and families, health disparities, LGBT concerns, the Minority Fellowship Program, socioeconomic status, women's issues, violence prevention and others.
A Student's Perspective
- APA Member Delivers Congressional Testimony on Mental Health Systems Reform
Arthur C. Evans is commissioner of Philadelphia’s Department of Behavioral Health and Intellectual disAbility Services
- APA Weighs In To Support Raising the Minimum Wage
Cites need to raise full-time workers out of poverty
- APA Continues Advocacy Around Hunger and Food Assistance
Collaborations with partner organizations amplify message