Call for Nominations to the Committee on Disability Issues in Psychology
APA's Committee on Disability Issues in Psychology (CDIP) seeks nominations for two new members to begin three-year terms on Jan. 1, 2016.
The committee is guided by the following identified mission which is to promote:
- The psychological well-being of people with disabilities.
- Awareness and inclusion of persons with disabilities and disability issues in education, training programs, policies and professional development.
- Development and implementation of psychological service delivery modes responsive to the needs of people with disabilities.
- Disability in psychological research as well as encourage specific research activity in disability-related areas.
Current activities and priorities of the committee include:
- Issues of accessibility, including promoting the Americans with Disabilities Act and universal design within psychology education and training programs and in APA sponsored programs and activities.
- Pipeline issues related to education and training of students with disabilities.
- Issues related to reducing risks and addressing the mental health needs of children with disabilities.
For 2016, the committee is recruiting members of the disability community who are also full members of APA. Specifically, CDIP is seeking:
- Individuals with APA governance experience.
- Members of underrepresented groups.
- Those who have conducted research in or who possess knowledge of emerging trends in disability.
- Members whose work has been with military or veteran populations.
Selected candidates will be required to attend two committee meetings each year in Washington, D.C., with expenses reimbursed by the APA and are encouraged to participate in CDIP-sponsored activities held during the APA Annual Convention at their own expense. Members are also expected to participate in email discussions and conference calls, and work on committee priorities between meetings.
Nomination materials should include a current curriculum vitae and a letter from the nominee indicating willingness to serve on CDIP and highlighting specific competencies, interests and potential contributions to the work of CDIP. Nominations and supporting materials should be sent no later than Aug. 28, 2015, to the APA Office of Disability Issues in Psychology at the APA address or via email.