Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns
The mission of the APA Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns Office is to advance the creation, communication and application of psychological knowledge on gender identity and sexual orientation to benefit society and improve lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people's lives.
Programs and Services
APA LGBT News
- An APA amicus brief was cited in the 9th Circuit Court decision (PDF, 480KB) to strike down same-sex marriage bans in Idaho and Nevada. That decision was stayed temporarily by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy. If the stay is lifted, the 9th Circuit Court decision would effectively strike down same-sex marriage bans in Nevada, Arizona, Idaho, Alaska and Montana. Oct. 7, 2014.
- APA Acknowledges October as LGBT History Month
- The proposed Guidelines for Psychological Practice with Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Clients are available for review and public comment through Nov. 20, 2014.
- The 3rd Circuit Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed as constitutional a November 2013 ruling in favor of the state's law prohibiting licensed therapists from attempting to change the sexual orientation or gender identity of minors.
- APA Public information brochure and task force report cited in the 7th Circuit Court decision to overturn same-sex marriage bans in Indiana and Wisconsin.
United Nations Human Rights Council adopts resolution on sexual orientation and gender identity with 25 voting in favor, 14 against and seven abstentions.
Paying an Unfair Price: The Financial Penalty for Being LGBT in America
by the Center for American Progress and the Movement Advancement Project, September 2014
Research Suggests U.S. Fails to Meet International Human Rights Standards for LGBT People
Williams Institute, July 10, 2014
Sen. Ed Markey, D-Mass., introduced the International Human Rights Defense Act to affirm LGBT human rights are a foreign policy priority for the United States government.
June 13, 2014
Texas Psychological Association Statement on Reparative Therapy in response to Texas GOP Platform.
The Hastings Center Report
Features numerous Special Reports on LGBT health issues with an emphasis on bioethics
September - October 2014
Young Adult Psychological Outcome After Puberty Suppression and Gender Reassignment
Pediatrics, September 2014
Proposed declassification of disease categories related to sexual orientation in the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-11)
Bulletin of the World Health Organization
Susan D. Cochran et al.
Building Respect for LGBT Older Adults
A new online learning tool by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Administration for Community Living to increase awareness of the issues faced by LGBT individuals living in long term care facilities.
Protecting the Rights of Transgender Parents and their Children: A Guide for Parents and Lawyers
A Joint Publication of the American Civil Liberties Union and the National Center for Transgender Equality