Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns
The mission of the APA Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns Office is to advance the creation, communication and application of psychological knowledge on gender identity and sexual orientation to benefit society and improve lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people's lives.
Programs and Services
APA LGBT News
- The 3rd Circuit Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed as constitutional a November 2013 ruling in favor of the state's law prohibiting licensed therapists from attempting to change the sexual orientation or gender identity of minors.
- APA Public information brochure and task force report cited in the 7th Circuit Court decision to overturn same-sex marriage bans in Indiana and Wisconsin.
- "This Day in June" was chosen by Erica Anderson, one of The Advocate's "40 Under 40" honorees, as "the single most important must-read book of the last decade." "This Day in June" celebrates LGBT Pride Day in a beautifully illustrated book for children ages 4-8.
- The APA Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns presented its 2014 Outstanding Achievement Award to Charles Silverstein, PhD, and José Toro-Alfonso, PhD.
- Young Adult Psychological Outcome After Puberty Suppression and Gender Reassignment
Pediatrics, September 2014
Proposed declassification of disease categories related to sexual orientation in the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-11)
Bulletin of the World Health Organization
Susan D. Cochran et al.
Building Respect for LGBT Older Adults
A new online learning tool by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Administration for Community Living to increase awareness of the issues faced by LGBT individuals living in long term care facilities.
Protecting the Rights of Transgender Parents and their Children: A Guide for Parents and Lawyers
A Joint Publication of the American Civil Liberties Union and the National Center for Transgender Equality