A quarterly publication of the Office of Ethnic Minority Affairs (OEMA)
In This Issue
- Where do we go from here?
A call to action following the failure to pass the bylaws amendment that would increase diversity on the Council of Representatives with additional seats for the National Ethnic Minority Psychological Associations (NEMPAs).
- What's in a name? APA's Division 45 set to consider potential options
Use of the term "minority" in the name does not fit the nation's changing demographics.
- 2013 Tomes Awards
Dr. Rachel L. Navarro, University of North Dakota, and Dr. Patricia Arredondo, University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee, both earned the 2013 Henry Tomes Award.
- APA president meets with the presidents of the National Ethnic Minority Psychological Associations
Four presidents of national ethnic minority psychological associations discuss the recently signed Memoranda of Understanding.
- Undocumented immigrant youth recount their challenges in new APA video
Three individuals who grew up as undocumented immigrants in the United States tell their personal stories in this documentary video that reinforces the need for attention to the mental health needs of immigrants.
- Missing the Health Care Connection
The survey finds behavioral health and stress management needs are not being adequately addressed by our health care system.
- Ethnicity and Health in America Series
This year, the series is raising awareness about the physiological and psychological impact of stress as it relates to health.
- Experience APA: How to get involved in APA
Instructions for the APA Boards and Committees Call for Nominations form.
- Funding for National Institute of Justice grants
Funding opportunities for research on firearms and violence.
- Kudos: Dr. Patricia Arredondo Day
An official proclamation from the Milwaukee Mayor's Office, officially declared Jan. 31, 2013, as "Dr. Patricia Arredondo Day."
- Bersoff Presidential Award to Multicultural Programs
This award will recognize three graduate departments that successfully recruit and graduate doctoral students who are U.S.-born ethnic minorities as well as U.S. residents born outside of the U.S. in regions such as the Middle East, Asia, Africa, the Caribbean and Latin America.
- Call for nominations: Committee on Ethnic Minority Affairs
Special consideration will be given to applicants whose education and experiences represent basic and/or applied areas of psychological science/research.
- 2013 Jeffrey S. Tanaka Memorial Dissertation Award in Psychology
The winner will receive a travel award sponsored by APA's Science Directorate and will present her or his dissertation at APA's 2013 Annual Convention in Honolulu.
- Nominate an outstanding doctoral program in psychology
The 2013 Suinn Minority Achievement Award recognizes doctoral that demonstrate excellence in the recruitment, retention and graduation of ethnic-minority students.
- Request for proposals: CEMRRAT2 Task Force Implementation Grants
Where to find information regarding funding and application procedures.
- Call For SCP Leadership Fellow applicants: Council of National Psychological Associations for the Advancement of Ethnic Minority Interests (CNPAAEMI) Leadership Development Institute – July 2013
The Leadership Development Institute aims to foster and support culturally grounded leadership skills among psychologists.
- Call for comment: Quality Professional Development and Continuing Education Resolution
The resolution was developed to reflect the committee's focus on promoting policies and practices related to quality continuing education.
- Call for nominations: Journal editor of Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy
Opened nominations for the editorship for the years 2015-2020.
- Call for papers: Special issue of Sex Roles: Men in female-dominated occupations
Explore the experiences of men from all countries who are working in female-dominated occupations.
- Upcoming opportunities
Fellowship programs, training and scholorship opportunities for students.
- Student resources
Resources for ethnic minority students.
- Graduate and early career psychologist resources
Resource guides and postdoctoral psychology fellowship announcement for clinical psychology.
- Additional resources and information
New online toolkit aims to eliminate disparities and enhance mental health service delivery to Hispanics.