A quarterly publication of the Office of Ethnic Minority Affairs (OEMA)
Ethnic Minority Psychology Leadership
- Diversity Leadership Development Workshop: A partnership project between Division 31 and the CEMRRAT2 Task Force
Promoting the advancement of diversity delegates of color to leadership positions.
By Jennifer F. Kelly, PhD, ABPP
- APA Leadership Institute for Women in Psychology
Mentoring women for leadership in psychology.
By Shari E. Miles-Cohen, PhD
- CNPAAEMI Leadership Development Institute: Reflection and Assessment
Institute effectively supports and trains psychologists of color for advancement to professional leadership positions.
By Alvin N. Alvarez, PhD
- Reflecting on leadership in graduate school
Graduate student leaders acknowledge some combination of obligation and mentorship that supports their development as leaders.
By Eddy Ameen, PhD
- OEMA partnerships network taking shape
The communication network will serve APA-affiliated entities addressing ethnic minority issues.
By Tiffany G. Townsend, PhD
- Nigerian schoolgirls kidnapped: APA members getting involved
APA helps "bring back our girls."
By Tiffany G. Townsend, PhD
In This Issue
- APA convention, Washington, D.C.
The psychological effects of immigration and principles for effectively addressing problems and barriers to treatment.
- Ethnicity and Health in America Series
This year's series raises awareness of physiological and psychological impacts of substance abuse and addiction.
By Nere Ayu, MA
- Government Relations & Public Policy Advocacy
APA members testify for funding on behalf of the Indian Health Service.
OEMA highlights recent honors, awards and achievements.
- CEMA update
CEMA seeks nominations for two new members to begin three-year terms of service on Jan. 1, 2015.
- CNPAAEMI update
OEMA seeks nominations for the Henry Tomes Award for the Advancement of Ethnic Minority Psychology.
- Students of color: Information and resources
Fellowship programs, resources, training and scholarship opportunities for students of color.
Calls, Conferences and Announcements
National Multicultural Conference and Summit, Psychological Science in MedEdPORTAL publications, Kenneth B. and Mamie P. Clark Grant and more.
Division 45 research conference, National Latina/o Psychological Association Biennial Conference and Awards and the second Caribbean Regional Conference of Psychology.
Diversity and cultural competency training videos, special issue of HIV Specialist, final recommendation statement on screening for suicide risk and Diversity Resource Guide.
- Division 45 call for applications
Applications for the CNPAAEMI Leadership Development Institute due June 16, 2014.
- Proposed standards of accreditation in health service psychology
Document now open for public comment through July 7, 2014.
- New Spanish-language mental health resources
Toolkit supports interested communities in talking about mental health.