Getting In: A Step-by-Step Plan for Gaining Admission to Graduate School in Psychology
This edition is no longer for sale. However, the second edition is available.
Applying to graduate school in psychology can be a daunting task. Competition is fierce and admission standards are high. Getting In reduces the stress of applying and increases applicants' chances of being accepted in the programs of their choice.
Applicants are provided with manageable goals and the tools to achieve them. Among the tools are a monthly timetable for completing application tasks, concrete information about career options in psychology, descriptions of graduate specialty options, and detailed worksheets for selecting the best program matches. A Resource section provides a list of publications and organizations that are helpful in the various phases of applying.
Applicants are taught how to define their training goals, what to look for in a program, and why. They learn what criteria admissions committees use to evaluate applicants, how to improve their qualifications, and how to best showcase their talents in personal essays, letters of recommendations, and preselection interviews. The costs of a graduate education and financial aid information specific to graduate students are also discussed. Members of special populations, such as women, ethnic minorities, gay and lesbian applicants, and applicants with disabilities will find resources and guidance particular to their needs.
- Why and How You Should Use This Book
- Is a Graduate Degree in Psychology the Right Choice for You?
- Decisions to Make Before Researching Graduate Programs in Psychology
- Assessing Your Qualifications and Improving Your Chances for Acceptance
- Choosing Which Programs to Apply to
- Applying to Graduate Programs
- After You've Applied
- Timetable for Early Planners
- A Student's Guide to the APA Divisions
- State and Provincial Boards and Agencies for the Statutory Licensure or Certification of Psychologists
- Sample Recommendation Form
- The Minority Fellowship Program