Forgiveness Is a Choice: A Step-by-Step Process for Resolving Anger and Restoring Hope
Forgiveness Is a Choice is a self-help book for people who have been deeply hurt by another and caught in a vortex of anger, depression, and resentment. As a creator of the first scientifically proven forgiveness program in the country, Robert D. Enright shows how forgiveness can reduce anxiety and depression while increasing self-esteem and hopefulness toward one's future.
This groundbreaking work demonstrates how forgiveness, approached in the correct manner, benefits the forgiver far more than the forgiven. Filled with wisdom and warm encouragement, the book leads the reader on a path that will bring clarity and peace.
Enright is careful to distinguish forgiveness from "pseudoforgiveness" and to reassure readers that forgiveness does not mean accepting continued abuse or even reconciling with the offender. Rather, by giving the gift of forgiveness, readers are encouraged to confront and let go of their pain in order to regain their lives.
I. Forgiveness is a Choice
- Forgiveness: A Path to Freedom
- What Forgiveness Is…and What It Is Not
- Why Forgive…and the Consequences of Not Forgiving
II. The Process of Forgiveness
- A Map and Tools for Your Journey
- Acknowledging Your Anger
- Confronting the Depth of Your Anger
- Committing to Forgive
- Gaining Perspectives
- Building Positive Feelings, Thoughts and Behaviors
- Experiencing Discovery and Release From Emotional Prison
- Saying "I Forgive You"
III. Going Deeper
- More Questions to Help You Forgive
- Helping Clients Forgive
- Wanting to Be Forgiven