Personality-Guided Therapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
For individuals in the U.S. & U.S. territories
In Personality-Guided Therapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, George S. Everly, Jr. and Jeffrey M. Lating shed light on the role personality factors play in the genesis and treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Since September 11, 2001, there has been a surge of interest among professionals and the public in the phenomenon of posttraumatic stress. With psychologically toxic events like airplane hijackings, terrorist acts, community violence, and natural disasters an unfortunate reality in today's world, posttraumatic stress may be viewed as posing a public health challenge.
Using Theodore Millon's personality-guided psychology as a framework, the authors provide insight into this challenging disorder. They discuss personality factors that can help protect against stress or increase vulnerability to stress. They explore the biological foundations of PTSD and offer practical guidance on how to assess PTSD, how to incorporate an understanding of personality in the formation of the therapeutic alliance and in other aspects of intervention, and how to resolve trauma. This groundbreaking book will be invaluable to all helping professionals dealing with the aftermath of trauma.
I. On the Nature of Personality and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- One's Fate Resides in One's Character
- An Introduction to Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- The Defining Moment of Psychological Trauma: What Makes a Traumatic Event Traumatic?
- Biological Foundations of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
II. Assessment of Posttraumatic Stress
- Psychological and Psychophysiological Assessment of Posttraumatic Stress
- Neuropsychological Assessment and Posttraumatic Stress
III. Therapeutic Intervention
- A Personality-Guided Approach to Forming the Therapeutic Alliance
- Personologic Alignment and Personality-Specific Beliefs
- Mitigating Posttraumatic Stress
- Neurologic Desensitization in the Treatment of Posttraumatic Stress
- From the Therapeutic Alliance to Trauma Resolution: Restoring Assumptive Worldviews and Integrating the Traumatic Event
- Psychological Trauma and the Borderline Personality
Appendix A. Personality-Guided Therapy of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder: A Synthesis
Appendix B. A Fast-Acting Behavioral Technique for Physiological Self-Regulation
About the Authors