Understanding and Treating Anxiety Disorders: An Integrative Approach to Healing the Wounded Self
For individuals in the U.S. & U.S. territories
Understanding and Treating Anxiety Disorders: An Integrative Approach to Healing the Wounded Self provides an effective new way to treat anxiety disorders. By evaluating the specific needs of a client and selecting appropriate approaches from several different therapeutic methods, this book shows how one can identify and treat the specific emotional basis for a particular anxiety.
This book includes an integrative theory of the etiology of various anxiety disorders and an integrative psychotherapy that incorporates psychodynamic, behavioral, cognitive–behavioral, humanistic–experiential, and biomedical perspectives on anxiety. The approach is based on the premise that no single psychotherapeutic orientation is sufficient for the comprehensive and durable treatment of anxiety disorders. The integrated theories are first presented for anxiety disorders in general and then are applied to specific anxiety disorders, including specific phobias, social phobias, panic disorder with and without agoraphobia, generalized anxiety disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder. The author proposes that, in all of these variations of anxiety disorders, wounds to the client's sense of self are always central, and only by taking a tailored approach to a client's specific wounds can healing begin.
This research-informed and clinically tested approach to helping clients resolve anxiety disorders will be of great interest to mental health practitioners of all orientations.
I. Foundations for Understanding Anxiety
- On the Nature and Classification of Anxiety
- Perspectives on Anxiety Disorders
II. An Integrative Theory of Anxiety Disorders
- Toward an Integrative Etiological Model of Anxiety Disorders
- An Integrative Model of the Self
- The Wounded Self: An Integrative Etiological Model of Anxiety Disorders
- The Application of the Integrative Model to Specific Anxiety Disorders
III. An Integrative Therapy for Anxiety Disorders
- Toward an Integrative Psychotherapy for Anxiety Disorders
- An Integrative Psychotherapy for Anxiety Disorders
- The Integrative Therapy Applied to Specific Anxiety Disorders
- Future Directions and a Final Summary
Appendix: Wolfe's Focusing Technique
About the Author
Definitely a strong addition to the field, this book incorporates not only what we know about anxiety disorders and their treatment but presents a novel integrative approach to healing the whole person.
—Doody Enterprises, Inc.