Since its launch in 2011 with about 2,200 records, this one-of-a-kind repository is now a trusted resource among researchers looking for psychological measurement tools.
A one-of-a-kind resource for measurement and instrumentation tools
Professionally indexed, the PsycTESTS® database is an extensive collection of psychological measures, scales, surveys, and other instruments essential to the research needs of professionals, students, and educators across the behavioral and social sciences.
Focused on a collection of instrumentation tools developed for research but not made commercially available, PsycTESTS helps researchers easily find scales and measures for their own use. PsycTESTS in an indispensable resource for researchers looking to conduct, create, or measure research in multiple fields of study.
Key benefits of PsycTESTS
- Helps researchers avoid "reinventing the wheel" by exposing thousands of research instruments, the majority of which are available for immediate download, and include reliability and validity information
- An ideal starting point for researchers initiating new research projects, with the availability of multiple measures, research instruments, and test types in a variety of subject areas
- Fills virtually any need by indexing a wide variety of test types and measurement instruments—including aptitude tests, personality scales, and cognitive functioning measures
Download a printable information sheet (PDF, 65KB) about PsycTESTS to learn more.
APA Members & Individuals
PsycTESTS is one of several APA research databases available through the following APA PsycNET® personal subscription options:
Visit the APA Members & Individuals page for more information on personal subscription options.
Librarians & Institutional Representatives
PsycTESTS is available for institutional site license directly from APA via the APA PsycNET® platform.
PsycTESTS can also be licensed through the following trusted providers:
To start a free 30-day trial for your institution, or to receive additional information, complete this form to have a representative contact you.
|Database Type||Bibliographic, plus full text and multimedia. (76% of test records contain the actual test or test items.)|
Descriptive summaries of the test and its development and administration, mostly drawn from articles in peer-reviewed journals or books, with downloadable tests.
The Master Test Profile summarizes the test and provides purpose and construct; records for development, review, or use provide additional details.
|Record Format||HTML, PDF, some multimedia and computer software|
|Sources for Tests||
|Number of Records||29,729 Master Profiles and 19,536 instances of actual tests or test items|
Some tests have multiple records. There may be a development and a review article for a single test, for example.
|Additional Information||In addition to information on number of items, test format, administration method, and so on, 518 records contain Supporting Documentation, such as answer sheets, instructions, guides, check lists, or record sheets.|
|Permissions||A permissions field alerts users to the tests they can use for research or teaching without formal permission. Other options include contacting the author and/or the publisher. The majority of tests in the database can be used without formal permission.|
|Update Frequency||Updated Monthly|
|Coverage Dates||1896 to present. 70% are from 2000 and later; 84% are from 1990 and later.|
A diverse array of subject areas and types of tests.
The PsycTESTS® database is produced and copyrighted by the American Psychological Association (APA). All rights reserved.
Information current as of July 2015
Learn more about searching PsycTESTS. Take a look at our:
- Video Tutorials for PsycTESTS on APA PsycNET, EBSCOhost, ProQuest, and OvidSP
- Webinar Training for Librarians
- Field Guide
- Getting Started with PsycTESTS on APA PsycNET (PDF, 1,739KB)
A variety of additional training materials and tools are available from our Search Help and Training Center.
Tips & Training
- Webinar Training – sessions for students and faculty, librarians and individual subscribers
- Video Tutorials – for APA Databases on APA PsycNET, EBSCOhost, ProQuest and OvidSP
- Podcasts – audio summaries of research recently added to PsycEXTRA, PsycBOOKS and PsycCRITIQUES (also available from iTunes)
- Search Guides – platform-specific training materials, including Quick Reference Guides
- Search Lessons – sample search lessons guide the user through database functionality or sample searches, in PDF and video
- Topic Guides – tips for searching APA Databases for a particular topic area
- PsycINFO News – newsletter about APA Databases
- Classification Codes – categorizing database content by primary subject matter
- Field Guide – quick definitions of the fields in APA Databases
- Record Structures – in-depth information on the searchable fields in:
More About PsycTESTS
Access & Subscription Options
Databases & Electronic Products
Abstracts & Index Records
Full-Text Journal Articles
Full-Text Books & Chapters
Conference Materials, Newsletters, Fact Sheets, and & More
Book & Film Reviews
Psychological Tests & Measures
Streaming Psychotherapy Demonstration Videos
- APA Books® E-Collections
Select Full-Text Books
- APA Handbooks in Psychology®
Reference Book Resources
- APA Video Introduction to Psychotherapy Systems
Streaming Video Guide to Psychotherapy Approaches
- APA Clinical Training Video Series
Streaming Video of Psychotherapy Experts in Action