- Abridged Guidelines for Parliamentary Procedure[PDF]
A parliamentary authority, once adopted in an organization’s bylaws, becomes the basic source of its procedural rules for Division 31.
- Access Your PWQ Online Account[PDF]
Instructions on how to access the electronic version of PWQ, which is available online exclusively to members of the Society for the Psychology of Women (Division 35).
- Addiction Screening in Psychotherapy[PDF]
Administering an addiction screening tool at the start of treatment is an important first step in improving identification of addictive disorders. Screening, by itself, has been shown to decrease the behavior. However recommending that psychologists do routine screenings is far from a cure all for overlooked or misdiagnosed addictions.
- Addressing Mental Health Issues to Improve HIV Prevention Intervention Outcomes[PDF]
Questions pertaining to HIV prevention interventions, treatments, common problems and agency prevention services are addressed.
- Adherence to Pediatric Medical Regimens for Chronic Disease
Approximately 50 to 55 percent of patients do not consistently adhere to pediatric medical regimens for chronic conditions.
- The Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study[PDF]
The Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development Study is a national longitudinal study that will assess the short- and long-term impact of adolescent substance use on brain development.
- Aging & Socioeconomic Status
Declines in health and the death of a spouse, common among older adults, are factors that can affect financial standing and other aspects of SES.
- All Parents and Preschoolders Need Support[PDF]
Most parents have felt frustrated and unhappy with their children at different times, or felt like they aren't a good parent.
- All Parents of Preschoolers Need Support[PDF]
It is important to deal with the stress you feel as a parent so that you can help yourself and your child have a better relationship with each other and with others.
- The American Psychological Association at the United Nations (Brochure)[PDF]
Brief brochure about the APA's special consultation status at the United Nations.
- The Americans With Disabilities Act and How It Affects Psychologists
Provides an overview of the ADA, its relevance to psychology and to psychologists working in a variety of settings. Produced by the Committee on Disability Issues in Psychology.
- Annotated Bibliography of Psychology and Racism
The annotated bibliography is structured by three themes of the 1997 APA Public Interest Miniconvention and National Conversation on Psychology and Racism: psychology of racism, racism in psychology, and psychology of anti-racism.
- Answers to Your Questions About Individuals With Intersex Conditions
A variety of conditions that lead to atypical development of physical sex characteristics are collectively referred to as intersex conditions. These conditions can involve abnormalities of the external genitals, internal reproductive organs, sex chromosomes or sex-related hormones.
- Answers to Your Questions About Panic Disorder
Panic disorder is a highly treatable condition that, once treated, does not lead to any permanent complications. The quality of economic, personal and health aspects of life can be severely impacted without treatment.
- Answers to Your Questions About Same-Sex Marriage
The psychological and social aspects of committed relationships between same-sex partners resemble those of heterosexual partnerships, living in a state where same-sex marriage is outlawed can lead to chronic social stress and mental health problems, and same-sex couples are as fit and capable parents as heterosexual couples.
- Answers to your Questions About Transgender People, Gender Identity, and Gender Expression
Transgender is an umbrella term used to describe people whose gender identity (sense of themselves as male or female) or gender expression differs from socially constructed norms associated with their birth sex. This includes androgynous, bigendered and gender queer people, who tend to see traditional concepts of gender as restrictive.
- Answers to Your Questions For a Better Understanding of Sexual Orientation and Homosexuality
This pamphlet is designed to provide accurate information for those who want to better understand sexual orientation and the impact of prejudice and discrimination on those who identify as lesbian, gay or bisexual. The brochure is also available in Russian and Spanish.
- Anxiety disorders and effective treatment
Psychologists can help individuals with post-traumatic stress disorder, panic, anxiety and OCD recover by using behavioral and cognitive therapy.
- APA Divisions: A Brochure an APA and Division Resources for International Activities[PDF]
Division liaisons receive the minutes of CIRP’s meetings; participate in CIRP’s agenda by submitting written reports and proposals for collaborations; and attend a breakfast meeting for division presidents and liaisons at Convention.
- The APA Office of International Affairs[PDF]
The office works with APA members and governance to develop and manage policy, programs and activities to facilitate knowledge and exchange between U.S. and international psychologists.
- Appropriate Use of High-Stakes Testing in Our Nation's Schools
Tests, when used properly, are among the most sound and objective ways to measure student performance. But, when test results are used inappropriately or as a single measure of performance, they can have unintended adverse consequences.
- Arkansas Activities in Health Care Reform for Childhood ADHD[PDF]
The goal of the Arkansas Payment Improvement Initiative is to move away from fee for service care to episodic care packages with “retrospective reimbursement” to Principal Accountable Providers.
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders
Autistic Spectrum Disorders are a group of developmental and neurobiological disorders. View the facts about ASD including prevalence, evidence-based assessment and interventions.