Call for Papers: Interactions Between Emotion and Cognition in Music
- March 1, 2013: expression of intent due
- May 31, 2013: manuscript submission deadline
Psychomusicology: Music, Mind, and Brain® encourages submissions on the theme of "Interactions Between Emotion and Cognition in Music" for a special issue planned for publication in March 2014.
This call for papers is stimulated by the growing interest in emotion and music, and by the need to more fully consider the role of cognition in emotional responses to music as well as the influences of emotional responses on cognitive processing of music.
Guest editors are Renee Timmers and Eduardo Coutinho.
Scope of the Issue
Submissions will be considered for publication related to interactions between emotion and cognition in memory, perception, development, performance, creation, and aesthetic appreciation of music, but also in the application of music in everyday life.
Topics may include, for example
- investigations of the role of affect in the perception of aspects of music
- a review of neuroscientific literature on emotion and cognition of music with a focus on overlapping, distinct, or interacting mechanisms in music listening
- investigations of the role of emotions in shaping musical development
- the role of musical experience in shaping cognitive and emotional development
- original empirical work on the interactions between cognitive tasks and music listening
Preference is given to articles with a clear empirical component — whether including hypotheses testing, model building, or a review of empirical work. Theoretical and speculative articles are welcome provided they contribute to the forming of empirically testable hypotheses, models, or theories, or they provide critiques of methodology. The journal will also consider short reports (approximately 2,000 words) in addition to articles.
Expression of intent before March 1, 2013
Please email Renee Timmers:
- "PMMB: Expression of intent" in subject heading
- Extended preliminary abstract of proposed main research paper:
- Word document (up to one page in length)
- Margins: 3cm in all sides
- Font: Times 12pt
- Name(s) and affiliation(s) of author(s)
- Brief explanation of how the paper fits the theme and in what way the paper contributes to the field.
Submission of full paper before May 31, 2013
The standard review procedure will be followed in considering acceptability of the submissions for publication. Please identify that your manuscript is for the special issue in your cover letter.
Dr. Renee Timmers
Department of Music
University of Sheffield
34 Leavygreave Road, Sheffield, S3 7RD
Email: Renee Timmers
Dr. Eduardo Coutinho
Swiss Center for Affective Sciences
University of Geneva
7 Rue des Battoirs, 1205
Email: Eduardo Coutinho
Other Calls for Papers
- Calls for Papers
Provides a list of journals soliciting manuscripts for articles, special sections, and special issues.