- APA partners with Tobacco Free Kids and others to comment on proposed FDA regulations
The comments cite a significant body of scientific evidence substantiating the need for rigorous standards of tobacco product review
- Volunteers of America names APA member to manage veterans’ mental health services
Johnathan Sherin, MD, PhD, will guide the expansion of psychological services at the human service-focused nonprofit
- New report highlights role of social sciences in medical education
Medical schools need to incorporate the behavioral and social sciences’ unique insight on health issues, according to a new report by the Association of American Medical Colleges
- Two additional APA programs now on Facebook
Be sure to follow the ACT/Parents Raising Safe Kids Program and Socioeconomic Status Related Cancer Disparities Program
Election Office Update
- 2012 board and committee nominations
Nominate a peer for a governance position in APA
From APA Publishing
- Methodological Approaches to Community-Based Research
This book presents a range of relevant cutting-edge research methodologies at the community level, and illustrates their applicability to specific social problems and community-wide interventions.
Scholarships, Awards and Grants
- Klaus J. Jacobs Research Prize
Nominate a researcher who has “achieved major breakthroughs in understanding and contributing to child and youth development” for this substantial award
- Kenneth B. and Mamie P. Clark Fund
The Kenneth B. and Mamie P. Clark Fund, supports research and demonstration activities that promote the understanding of the relationship between self-identity and academic achievement with an emphasis on children in grade levels K-8. This grant will alternate every other year between an early career psychologist and a graduate student. The 2013 grant will support a graduate student.
- Esther Katz Rosen Early Career Research Grant
The Rosen Early Career Grant promotes early career psychologists whose work centers on the psychological understanding of gifted and talented children and adolescents.
- International Scientific Meeting Support Award
The APA Committee on International Relations in Psychology (CIRP) invites applications for funds for scientific meetings that foster the exchange of knowledge among psychologists across the world.
- Small Grants for Program Development of National Psychology Associations
The overall goal of this award is to contribute to the development of psychology around the globe by providing funds to support the development of national psychology associations.
- APA Travel Grants for US Psychologists to Attend International Conferences
This award will cover or partially cover conference registration fees at international conferences held outside the United States and Canada for US-based psychologists.
- Meritorious Research Service Commendation
This commendation recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions to psychological science through their service as employees of the federal government or other organizations.
- F. J. McGuigan Early Career Investigator Research Prize on Understanding the Human Mind
The $25,000 F. J. McGuigan Early Career Investigator Prize is given biennially to an early-career psychologist engaged in research that seeks to explicate the concept of the human mind from a primarily psychophysiological perspective, although physiological and behavioral research may also qualify. The approach must be a materialistic one fostering both empirical and theoretical research. Empirical research would primarily be psychophysiological, but physiological and behavioral research may also qualify for support.