- HIV Prevention Measures Must Include Behavioral Strategies to Work, says APA
Truvada alone not sufficient, given adherence and other challenges
- SAMHSA accepting applications for Primary and Behavioral Health Care Integration (PBHCI) grants
The grants will facilitate location of both primary and specialty care medical services in community-based mental and behavioral health settings.
- White House Champions of Change program honors APA member
Maria Dolores Cimini, PhD, co-chair of APA’s Women with Disabilities in STEM Education Project, was recognized for her work to promote access to STEM disciplines.
- Commission on Accreditation (CoA) Update May 2012
The commission’s summary of recent activity includes a request for public comment through July 16, 2012, on three policies.
- Psychology Teachers Earn APA TOPSS Award for Excellence in Teaching
Award recipients recognized for commitment to psychology education
- Homing in on sickle cell disease
- HRSA Announces New Mental and Behavioral Health Education and Training Grants Program
- APA hosts congressional briefing on findings of APA Presidential Task Force on Immigration
APA past-president Melba Vasquez, PhD, ABPP, and other task force members spoke at the briefing and met with congressional offices
- House and Senate take action toward reauthorization of domestic violence legislation
Both bills include APA-supported provisions to reauthorize and strengthen the health care system’s identification, assessment and response to violence
- APA member provides crucial expertise for National Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day
Tony Mannarino, PhD, spoke about the impact of child trauma and evidence-based practice
- APA joins numerous organizations in asking congress to support family caregivers
Groups came together to advocate in the face of anticipated tightening of funds
Election Office Update
From APA Publishing
- Max Archer, Kid Detective: The Case of the Recurring Stomachaches
This story addresses the big three causes of stomachaches: lactose intolerance, constipation, and stress.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
This book provides an overview of the main influences and basic principles of acceptance and commitment therapy.
Calls for Nominations and Awards
- Call for Nominations to the APA Committee on Aging
The Committee on Aging is accepting nominations, including self-nominations, for two new members to serve a three-year term beginning Jan. 1, 2013.
- Distinguished Contributions to the Advancement of Disability Issues in Psychology Award
This award seeks to recognize an APA member who has had a significant and enduring impact on advancing the role of psychological principles to enhance the lives of and promote the inclusion of people with disabilities in society.
- APA Fellows Committee
The APA Fellows Committee seeks nominations for two new members for a three-year term beginning Jan. 1, 2013.
- Award for the Advancement of Psychology and Aging
This award for outstanding achievement is presented annually to recognize psychologists and friends of psychology who have made significant contributions to the mission of the Committee on Aging (CONA).