The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has prioritized a new program to hire approximately 1,600 new mental health professionals.
- APA president speaks at National Academies conference on women of color in academia
Dr. Suzanne Bennett Johnson highlighted APA's efforts to advance women of color as psychologists.
- Commission on Accreditation (CoA) Update May 2012
The commission’s summary of recent activity includes a request for public comment through July 16, 2012, on three policies.
- Household food insecurities: Threats to children’s well-being
Pediatric psychologist Dr. Maureen Black discusses household food insecurity and children's health in the United States
By Maureen Black, PhD
- Expert Offers Insight on Alzheimer’s Causes, Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment
Mayo Clinic psychologist Glenn E. Smith, PhD, answers five questions
- What you should know about online education
- APA Advances Data Collection on Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation in Electronic Health Records
Comments on the Electronic Health Records Incentive Program argued for collecting such data to address health disparities among sexual minority populations.
- APA Supports Pay Equality for Women
Efforts continue on this critical issue, despite a setback in the U.S. Senate.
Election Office Update
- Board of Directors nominations results
Nominees have been selected to appear on a final ballot in July 2012.
From APA Publishing
- APA Handbook of Counseling Psychology
This handbook highlights the practices in counseling psychology's traditional areas as well as in new and emerging areas.
- Evidence-Based Teaching for Higher Education
This book synthesizes findings from the scholarship of teaching and learning in order to help university teachers choose techniques and tools that maximize student learning.
- Transformation in Psychotherapy
This book attempts to fill the gap in the literature on a hitherto obscure — but crucial — aspect of psychotherapy: the corrective experience as a harbinger of transformative change in the therapy process.
Continuing Education in Psychology
- CE Sessions
Convention attendees can earn unlimited continuing education credits by attending numerous sessions, all for a single fee.
- Office of Continuing Education in Psychology
The Office of Continuing Education in Psychology offers a wide range of continuing professional education opportunities for psychologists.
Calls for Nominations, Awards, Proposals and Comments
- Call for comments: Proposed endorsement of "Structure and Function of an Interdisciplinary Team for Persons with Acquired Brain Injury"
Submit comments by July 25, 2012, on a recommendation that APA endorse a joint statement focusing on important and timely issues in today’s health care.
- Call for Nominations to the Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Concerns
Nominate peers by Jan. 1, 2014, for two positions on the APA Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Concerns.
- Work, Stress and Health 2015: Sustainable Work, Sustainable Health, Sustainable Organizations
The 2015 conference in Atlanta will give special attention to the concept of "sustainability," and the integral role of occupational safety and health in sustainable economic growth.
- Nominations to the APA Committee on Aging
The Committee on Aging is accepting nominations, including self-nominations, for two new members to serve a three-year term beginning Jan. 1, 2014.
- Distinguished Contributions to the Advancement of Disability Issues in Psychology Award
This award seeks to recognize an APA member who has had a significant and enduring impact on advancing the role of psychological principles to enhance the lives of and promote the inclusion of people with disabilities in society.
APA member Anne M. Cleary, PhD, in:
Been There, Done That—or Did I?: Déjà Vu Found to Originate in Similar Scenes – Scientific American
"One reason for the jarring sense that accompanies déjà vu may be the contrast between the sense of newness and the simultaneous sense of oldness – something unfamiliar should not also feel familiar."
(Photo courtesy of Colorado State University)
APA’s Public Affairs office seeks copies of presentations scheduled for this year’s convention.