- APA member Jean Lau Chin, PhD, shared expertise on gender issues as Fulbright specialist
At the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Chin raised awareness of the university’s gender studies program and gained an international perspective on leadership.
- ELC Attendees Urge Members of Congress to Increase Support for the GPE Program
APA members attend advocacy sessions to increase knowledge of the federal legislative process, enhance advocacy skills and explain the importance of congressional funding for the Graduate Psychology Education program
- Conference aims to advance health care provided at correctional facilities
The National Conference on Correctional Health Care will be held Oct. 20-24, in Las Vegas.
- Risk-Glorifying Video Games May Lead Teens to Drive Recklessly, New Research Shows
Certain games may increase rebelliousness, sensation seeking among adolescents, study finds
- School psychologists feel the squeeze
- APA Congressional Fellowship Program
The purpose of this fellowship is to provide psychologists with an invaluable public policy learning experience, to contribute to the more effective use of psychological knowledge in government and to broaden awareness about the value of psychology-government interaction among psychologists and within the federal government.
- APA Works to Build the Mental Health Workforce for an Aging America
A congressional briefing presented key findings from the IOM report related to the mental health and substance use workforce for older adults.
- APA Staff Moderates Discussion of Behavioral Health and HIV Prevention
Panelists described best practice programs and explored the integration of behavioral health and HIV prevention in community settings
- Psychologists share expertise at Federal Partners in Bullying Prevention Summit
Event highlighted federal commitment to school climate
Election Office Update
- APA president-elect election now open
Members can go online to vote for the association’s 2014 president.
From APA Publishing
- Personality Disorders and the Five-Factor Model of Personality, Third Edition
This 3rd edition summarizes the conceptual and empirical support for the Five-Factor Model, the most heavily researched and empirically supported dimensional model of general personality structure.
Calls for Nominations, Comments and Proposals
- Public comments requested on Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice
APA’s Board of Education Affairs seeks comments by Nov. 1 on whether the association should endorse a report on interdisciplinary health care teams.
- Call for Nominations for Journal Editors
Call for nominations for new editors for the APA journals Psychological Trauma and Couple and Family Psychology for the years 2015–2020.