A publication of APA's Office of Public and Member Communications
November 2, 2012 | Vol. 1, No. 19
- American Psychological Association's Norman Anderson, PhD, Elected to Institute of Medicine
NIH also recognizes Anderson for work in behavioral and social sciences research
- New PAC provides APA members opportunity to support psychology advocacy
The American Psychological Association Practice Organization (APAPO) has created a political action committee that begins a new chapter in organized psychology’s involvement in the political arena.
- Two proposed divisions address our changing world
Society for Technology and Psychology and Division of Entertainment Psychology cite rapid change in technology and culture, along with need for divisions for each
- APA debuts online fellows application platform
The online application system allows nominees, endorsers and division fellows chairs to submit materials electronically.
- Innovative education
- APA-FABBS advocacy webinar prepares scientists to lobby Congress on research funding
Video archive of webinar can be viewed online.
- APA Governance members meet with congressional staff to advocate for the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
Members of APA’s Committee on Women in Psychology advocated for a comprehensive reauthorization of VAWA by asking their representatives to support key public health provisions and protections for vulnerable populations.
- APA member provides expertise at Congressional Black Caucus event on veterans issues
APA secured the participation of Josef Ruzek, PhD, for a Sept. 21 Veterans Braintrust event at the 2012 Congressional Black Caucus Foundation’s Annual Legislative Conference.
From APA Publishing
- Handbook of Spatial Cognition
Bringing together notable experts on a variety of topics, such as neuroscience, perception, memory, and language, this book offers a broad yet detailed overview of spatial cognition, a field that studies how humans and animals acquire and utilize knowledge from their environments.
- Caregiver Family Therapy
This book presents Caregiver Family Therapy, a systemic model for treating families that care for an older adult. Three core processes help caregiving family members identify problems, structure caregiver roles to address the problems, and ensure caregiver self-care.
Continuing Education in Psychology
- APA Convention CE Recordings
Each year CE sessions and workshops are videotaped at the APA Annual Convention. All recordings include CE credit offered by the APA CEP Office
Calls for Nominations and Applications
- Call for Nominations for Journal Editors
Call for nominations for new editors for the APA journals Psychological Trauma and Couple and Family Psychology for the years 2015–2020.
- APA Grants for Internship Programs
The APA has allocated up to $3 million over a period of three years for seed funding under a grant application process to increase the number of APA-accredited internship programs and positions.