A publication of APA's Office of Public and Member Communications
December 11, 2012 |Vol. 1, No. 22
APA’s work continued to strengthen psychology’s essential role in health care, scientific research and education.
Addressing the internship imbalance while supporting quality standards in psychology education
- Greater awareness and funding approved to address internship imbalance
The Education Directorate and the American Psychological Association of Graduate Students worked to raise awareness of and make strides toward solving the internship imbalance.
- Rigorous education standards set for high school psychology
The Education Directorate strengthened support for high school psychology teachers by distributing new policy documents and promoting professional development opportunities.
Advocating and protecting funding for the application of psychology to public safety, health and wellness programs
- Gained support for advancement of psychology workforce, services and research in health care reform
APA and the APA Practice Organization capitalized on opportunities available through the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to bring about new grant sources and enforcement requirements that benefit psychology and mental health patients.
- Action to protect research funding on Capitol Hill and within federal agencies
An increased number of psychologists stood up for the discipline, protecting funding for research and educating policymakers on psychology’s contributions to society.
Sharing relevant psychological research, knowledge and information with the courts
- Office of the General Counsel secures psychology’s important role in key court decisions
Courts considered psychological research and findings when reviewing several landmark cases.
Educating the public about the scientific foundation and value of the discipline and the unique skills and training of psychologists
- Current information about psychology reaches millions with new social media initiatives
People worldwide engaged in exchanges on a daily basis about the latest advances in psychological science and the association’s work on behalf of the discipline.
Creating and supporting a community for psychologists
- News gets to members quickly and conveniently
Members gained several new and enhanced options to receive the latest association and psychology news.
Supporting diversity within the discipline while breaking down barriers to quality mental and behavioral health care and the disparities they create
- Recognizing and battling obesity among African-American women and girls
APA and the Association of Black Psychologists, obesity researchers, health professionals and community leaders addressed the U.S. obesity epidemic and its disproportionate effect on African-American women.
- ACT Raising Safe Kids program expands to Brazil
APA staff presented the first international ACT Raising Safe Kids facilitators’ training in South America's largest country.
Advocating for policies that protect the viability of psychology practice and the public’s access to mental health services
- APA Practice Organization safeguards Medicare reimbursements for psychologists
Advocates also targeted managed care rate cuts as a violation of federal parity rules.
Publication of high-quality peer-reviewed science and increasing dissemination with use of mobile technologies
- Psychological research and resources made more accessible to public, scientists and practitioners
The Office of Publications and Databases announced a new public open-access journal and published a practitioners' pocket resource, ensuring important psychological information is readily available to all audiences.
Educating the public about the importance of mental and behavioral health
- Public awareness of access issues for mental health care increases
APA took action to address children’s psychological concerns and to facilitate health care reform implementation.
Supporting early career psychologists and the generation now in training
- Donor support of psychology continues to change how we see and live our lives
Contributions to the American Psychological Foundation over the past year supported innovative research and helped launch careers.
- Paving the way for psychology’s next generation
APAGS approved new mission and vision statements while working to give graduate students hands-on journal experience.
Fostering exchanges with international psychology organizations
- Diverse international outreach initiatives give members global perspectives
An array of international program initiatives provided members opportunities to learn from and exchange information with psychologists worldwide.
Providing continuing professional education and development opportunities for psychologists
- Leading practitioners and researchers offer expert guidance on important psychology topics
Clinician's Corner workshops became available to members anywhere, anytime with online videos of the popular webcasts.
Optimizing and aligning APA’s practices, process and structures to thrive in a rapidly changing and increasingly complex environment
- Enhancements to internal APA governance structure to benefit members and the discipline
APA’s Good Governance Project and Division Services Office focused on streamlining processes and adding benefits for members.