APA’s Anderson meets with Obama administration officials to provide input on violence prevention proposals
- Aetna Settlement Favorable to Psychologists and Their Patients
Aetna has agreed to a $120 million settlement of a class action lawsuit filed by psychologists alleging that the company used a faulty database to underpay claims for services from out-of-network providers
- APA member Anne Treisman, PhD, receives National Medal of Science
The White House and National Science Foundation honored Treisman for her role in understanding the fundamental attentional limits in the human mind and brain.
- New Graduate Psychology Education (GPE) Three-Year Cycle Announced
The education program will provide grant funding during federal fiscal years 2013-2015 for a three-year project period from July 1, 2013, through June 30, 2016.
- Be one of APA’s ‘go-to’ experts for national news media
Public Affairs’s media referral service provides journalists with sources for a broad range of psychology topics.
- UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities falls short of Senate ratification
The U.S. Senate voted against ratification of the convention, coming five votes short of the two-thirds majority needed to ratify an international treaty.
Election Office Update
From APA Publishing
- APA therapy video database, handbooks and children’s books win publishing awards
National organizations praised several APA products and publications in 2012.
Calls for Nominations and Applications
- Call for Nominations for Journal Editors
APA's Publications and Communications Board has opened nominations for the editorships of History of Psychology; International Journal of Stress Management; Journal of Family Psychology; Journal of Occupational Health Psychology; Journal of Personality and Social Psychology: Personality Processes and Individual Differences; Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment; Psychological Assessment; and Psychological Review for the years 2016–2021.
- BEA Grants for Precollege & Undergraduate Teaching Conferences
These grants support precollege and undergraduate teaching conferences to enhance the quality of teaching and learning outcomes.
- APA Summer Science Fellowships for undergraduates
- Distinguished Contributions to the Advancement of Disability Issues in Psychology Award
This award seeks to recognize an APA member who has had a significant and enduring impact on advancing the role of psychological principles to enhance the lives of and promote the inclusion of people with disabilities in society.
- PT@CC Excellence in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning at a Two-Year College or Campus Award
The purpose of this award is to recognize the important contributions being made by psychology faculty at two-year institutions.
- APA TOPSS Excellence in Teaching Awards
The purpose of the APA TOPSS Excellence in Teaching Award is to provide an opportunity for TOPSS to recognize outstanding teachers in psychology.
- Advanced Training Institutes (ATIs)
Advanced Training Institutes expose psychological scientists to emerging technologies and the most current research methodologies.
Sports can lead in dealing with mental health issues – USA Today
"There's a sense, a stigma, that a mental issue is associated with a lack of strength. Obviously, a successful athlete has tremendous mental strength and so when he or she comes forward, it's helpful for many people."