A publication of APA's Office of Public and Member Communications
December 16, 2013 | Vol. 2, No. 14
APA gun violence report identifies behavioral threat assessment as an effective prevention technique
- A year of significant accomplishments for APA
This issue of APA Access reports on APA's work to strengthen psychology's important role in education, health care and scientific research nationally and internationally.
Securing Psychology's Essential Role In National Issues
- Protecting social, behavioral science research funding on Capitol Hill and within federal agencies
Psychologists spoke up for the discipline to protect research funding and to educate policymakers on psychology’s contributions to society.
- Informing key court decisions on marriage equality, eyewitness identification and more
Courts considered psychological research when reviewing several landmark cases.
Educating and Training the Next Generation of Psychologists
- Helping to address internship imbalance with grants to support creation of accredited internships
Funding reached $625,000 in 2013 as part of APA’s $3 million internship stimulus package.
- Progressing toward new APAGS journal to provide publishing training ground for students, new psychologists
APAGS welcomed Mary Beth Kenkel, PhD, as the first editor.
- Activating a public message to Congress in support of low interest rates on student loans
An APA advocacy alert led to thousands of letters of support to elected officials.
- Partnering to approve new educational and psychological testing standards
The new standards will include updates on fairness, accountability, technology and workplace issues.
- Raising support for students and early career psychologists with the Campaign to Transform the Future
The campaign will increase the American Psychological Foundation’s ability to fund students and early career psychologists.
Securing Psychology's Essential Role In Health and Wellness
- Advancing psychology’s role in improving health with new Center for Psychology and Health
Initial priorities include highlighting psychological contributions to health promotion and disease prevention, expanding psychologists’ roles in integrated health care and working to ensure the public’s access to health psychology services.
- Showcasing psychology’s value and providing resources for employers and psychologists
The new APA Center for Organizational Excellence helps to increase public awareness of benefits that psychology can bring to the workplace.
- Meeting students’ growing mental health needs with expanded APA Campus Suicide Prevention Program
APA’s advocacy efforts to reauthorize and improve the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act will help prevent suicides at schools.
- Transforming the workplace and workers’ lives: Two decades of Work, Stress and Health conferences
The 10th International Conference on Occupational Stress and Health focused on “protecting and promoting total work health™.”
- Preparing and positioning psychologists for health care reform implementation
The APA Practice Organization continued advocating for fair and appropriate reimbursement for psychological services.
Increasing Awareness of, Accessibility to Psychology's Solutions
- Putting the spotlight on psychological science helps solve real world problems
APA’s Public Interest Directorate produced two videos and a blog to spread awareness of psychology’s benefits to society.
- Raising awareness of mind-body connection and mental health issues through public education
Videos, fact sheets and other tools highlight psychologists' role in promoting healthy lifestyles and behavioral change.
- Tapping new ways to keep psychology at the forefront of pressing issues
APA raised public awareness of psychology with new media and enhanced technology.
- Making psychological research and resources more accessible to practitioners and the public
APA’s Office of Publications and Databases expanded access to its databases and published a landmark reference book, ensuring availability of important psychological information.
Strengthening the Discipline of Psychology
- Improving internal APA governance structure to benefit members and the discipline
APA’s Council of Representatives approved six of the seven recommendations from Good Governance Project.
- Strengthening partnerships and providing opportunities for members through international cooperation
APA’s participation in international outreach programs and initiatives creates opportunities for psychologists worldwide to exchange information.
- Collaborating to promote competent and ethical practice of psychology
Ongoing partnerships help shape APA’s ethics code and influence how psychologists think about ethics.
- Delivering improved APA information technology services and solutions
APA’s Information Technology Services enhanced myAPA, created a mobile app and improved an internal financial management system.